TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Gross Town > Ryan Adams Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ryan Adams, abuse, the Stans, and people who believe no apology is good enough

Old 04-22-2019, 03:38 PM   #2576
folkjam

folkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to all
Re: Alt-Country R. Kelly: The Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorgan1 View Post
Ok. I wasnít happy with where things were left the other day. So coming back to clarify and apologise on a few points:

a.) That wasnít the exactly what I was arguing here. I was saying she was a willing participant and not with regard to sex but just at the situation she found herself in.

b.) Iím not saying he should be able to wield his status over women to demean or humiliate but to expect him not talk himself up as successful musician or leverage some of his perks / wealth like offering her a lift in his rider/tour bus, and even the vague allusion to recording together one day is a bit idealistic. Those levers are not inherently bad or manipulative. This would more questionable in a workplace or teaching environment however.

Edit: I realise this kind took place in their working environment. This is an interesting area of discussion because the traditional structures of a workplace environment donít really exist here. Relationships in music have formed this way for a long time.

c.) You donít have to believe me for suggesting it. She offers up that if she were open to getting laid earlier in the story, so I was just suggesting maybe some other cues had been given. The claim is not entirely baseless. Did it give him the right to touch her? No. Definitely not. But it does offer up a reason why he may have done it. Not that it was him simply abusing his status as Ryan Adams to do it.

Consent is an important discussion in itself that needs further addressing. Not specific to the Ryan situation but more generally.

d.) She begins the story making reference to the other women who have outed him for his manipulative behaviour. That point alone suggests she was influenced by the other stories.

I apologise for the superior complex comments. That was unfair, uncalled for and cheap.

There are couple of things I question about Coscarelli and I do think there is a bit of an agenda. His Tumblr posts from years back show he has taken an interest in documenting him. Does it mean his story is made up? No. Just that, in my opinion, there are possibly some underlying motivations behind the origins of his story. The other questionable point is from his on air interview about the story where he draw parallels to R Kellyís behaviour and Ryanís. Which I find grossly implausible. Hence my calling out of his bias. Of which he does not disclose that he has followed and written about Ryan Adams for a number of years.
a.) The issue is that consent can be withdrawn at any point, which is something I think people are still realizing. She openly acknowledged that she was open to sleeping with him, but that all soured at some point. It's not always perfectly black and white. Maybe he just sincerely missed that cue, I don't know. I'd probably be more forgiving of this instance if there weren't other examples, namely the Leah Hayes incident I referenced earlier. My point was never that Jolie Holland's experience was on the same level as Ava's, which Jolie repeatedly acknowledges, but rather that there is a pattern of Ryan behaving inappropriately.

b.) Of course you try to put your best foot forward when attempting to attract someone, but Ryan always seems to go to a casting couch scenario, where the opportunities offered to women are tied to their willingness to sleep with him. Therein lies the difference. If he just wanted to show that he's a successful and talented musician, I don't think anyone would have an issue with that. But, as he seems to do quite a bit, he overstepped a boundary.

c.) I fully recognize that this shit gets messy and can be misinterpreted. My issue is that what could have hypothetically happened doesn't mean I excuse what did happen. I don't think I have a totally clear picture of any of this stuff, but I still see patterns where Ryan has fucked up time and time again with different people. So I'm at the point where I don't give him much grace.

d.) But it's not as if she had amazing memories of the night until the NYT article showed her how fucked up it was. She acknowledges feeling crappy about it then, and that the article validated feelings she already had.

No worries on the personal shots. I don't have a problem with you, just don't agree here.

Coscarelli may have some personal issue with Ryan, but that doesn't immediately discredit the article, and that's why I asked for proof of his bias overshadowing the reporting. He can think Ryan is the worst human alive, but I don't see where that bled into the content. As I've said before, if he was going for a hit piece, when most of the sources are named and there's a pretty hefty paper trail that could discredit him, I think Ryan's lawsuit would've been filed by now. As for the R Kelly comparison, no, I don't think Ryan is on that level, but I also see Ryan half-jokingly comparing himself to R Kelly. Dumb comment on Coscarelli's part, most likely, but show me where it colored the reporting.

As I see it, everyone in the article has only supported what was published. No one has accused the authors of taking them out of context or playing games with quotes, and a ton of people unrelated to the article have relayed their own stories after the fact. So we're at a point where we have to ask whether this is all a huge conspiracy against Ryan by A LOT of bitter people with some undetermined agenda, or we just have to acknowledge that it's largely accurate and Ryan has done some fucked up things that he needs to make peace with. Until anyone shows me otherwise, I'm guessing it's the latter.
folkjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:40 PM   #2577
futurecalling

futurecalling will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaGal View Post
Isn't this the point? Isn't this deep kind of change and recovery what folks want from Ryan Adams?
Wouldn't we love to say, Ryan Adams used to be a real shithead to women, then he had that run-in with the FBI, and he really cleaned up his act. Wrote the best music he ever wrote in the aftermath of his cleanup.
That would be really awesome. I hope that happens.
I hope it happens too, but if an article "exposing" Jason would have been written at the time, he likely would have never gotten the chance.
futurecalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:53 PM   #2578
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaGal View Post
Isn't this the point? Isn't this deep kind of change and recovery what folks want from Ryan Adams?
Wouldn't we love to say, Ryan Adams used to be a real shithead to women, then he had that run-in with the FBI, and he really cleaned up his act. Wrote the best music he ever wrote in the aftermath of his cleanup.
That would be really awesome. I hope that happens.
word.
thank you.
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:55 PM   #2579
thebalvenie

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecalling View Post
I hope it happens too, but if an article "exposing" Jason would have been written at the time, he likely would have never gotten the chance.
well,
ryan has an article exposing him...and i'm still tapping my toes waiting for him to take the chance to apologize and make himself better.

he has a chance.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:03 PM   #2580
futurecalling

futurecalling will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalvenie View Post
well,
ryan has an article exposing him...and i'm still tapping my toes waiting for him to take the chance to apologize and make himself better.

he has a chance.
Agreed. I think Ryan has a harder to row to hoe, though.

As we all know, there are a zillion ripple side effects to being an addict. Often, some of these side effects include treating people, particularly women, utterly fuckin' horribly.

Unfortunately, Ryan had all of these "side effects" shouted from the mountaintops by people who weren't him.

It's easy to let people know you're sober and have them accept it, but I don't know how Ryan can truly convince the general public that he is out there respecting women, or not texting minors.

I may be rambling, but I guess what I'm saying is this:

People have a lot of sympathy for addicts when they don't have to hear what was truly going on day-to-day with their relationships. Ryan doesn't have that luxury, if you can call it that... so he comes off as a shithead more than a troubled person.

This sucks.
futurecalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:13 PM   #2581
andyo812

andyo812 is a glorious beacon of lightandyo812 is a glorious beacon of lightandyo812 is a glorious beacon of light

I agree 100% that Ryan has a harder road forward.

Given, he exchanged 3,214 texts including those of sexual nature to an underage fan he met on twitter and had corroborated accounts of sketchy behavior reported by 8 women.

I get what youíre trying to say re: sympathy but if this story breaks now or when Ryan is a few years sober it wouldnít matter much. Also, Itís known he has substance use and mental health issues.

Itís what he did, not what his level of health was, why even go on that hill and liken this to Isbell?

ĎThisí is manageable, it does not suck. Ryan being a shit person and therefore impacting his own art does, in fact, suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
andyo812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:04 AM   #2582
thebalvenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecalling View Post
Agreed. I think Ryan has a harder to row to hoe, though.

As we all know, there are a zillion ripple side effects to being an addict. Often, some of these side effects include treating people, particularly women, utterly fuckin' horribly.

Unfortunately, Ryan had all of these "side effects" shouted from the mountaintops by people who weren't him.

It's easy to let people know you're sober and have them accept it, but I don't know how Ryan can truly convince the general public that he is out there respecting women, or not texting minors.

I may be rambling, but I guess what I'm saying is this:

People have a lot of sympathy for addicts when they don't have to hear what was truly going on day-to-day with their relationships. Ryan doesn't have that luxury, if you can call it that... so he comes off as a shithead more than a troubled person.

This sucks.
i'm thinking more in line w/ compassion. my first inclinations of that feeling are for the victims. ryan is secondary in all of this. his non-apology apology is so ryan-esque and a slap in the face it was just like man, fuck that, i'm done until he can show some realy sympathy and remorse for his actions.

we all know he's troubled and he's equally a shithead. he's earned that and more. i grew up w/ an addict. i know how selfish they are...how much they lie and how much they project and minimize and escape and put onto others. so, the real work has yet to be done. people ask me why i have such a hard time forgiving my father...well, sure he sobered up....but he never really did the work to change behaviors....ACTIONS truly do speak louder than words.

i also learned that in order to heal, i don't have to forgive...it's not required. of course, we are all on our own little journeys in life and so we have our own anecdotes and perception is reality.

i'm sure someday i'll get past it and the music is irrefutably great....(pre-2007) and those songs and memories will always be there for me. just kind of soured on ol ry guy for the moment.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:52 AM   #2583
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

roshea999 has a spectacular aura about

I am perfectly ok with Ryan taking some time before we see any type of an apology. Nothing he would have done immediately after that story would have been believable. I think it would have been lose-lose. And honestly not that much time has passed since the story broke.

If he's in some type of rehab right now (or at least addressing his drug addiction/mental health issues), I think the apology will carry more weight with some real perspective and time. He has a lot of things to sort out before any type of redemption can begin.

In fact, I'll have more respect for Ryan if he disappears for a while and comes back to address it vs. documenting every step of his recovery/attempted redemption.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:32 PM   #2584
TheHappiness

TheHappiness is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
You are correct (as long as you look past the stonewalling of writing/recording with her, the gatekeeping of her talent and her career before him and the general awfulness to her that she mentioned).
Yes, he was a bad husband and insecure, etc.

But gatekeeping her talent? GMAFB. Who gatekept her talent from like 2002-2008?

A bad, bratty, selfish husband isn't #metoo. It's called a bad relationship.

Last time I checked, they split up in 2015. Where's her next record since then? Where's her grammy?

DRA knowingly texting a 14 year old = bad.
DRA being manipulative to Natalie Prass = dickish, and bad.
DRA being a bad husband and not being able to further freaking Mandy Moore's music career? = Who gives a shit....
TheHappiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:20 PM   #2585
danger8504

danger8504 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHappiness View Post

DRA being a bad husband and not being able to further freaking Mandy Moore's music career? = Who gives a shit....
Agreed and lol'd hard on this one
danger8504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:58 PM   #2586
TheHappiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger8504 View Post
Agreed and lol'd hard on this one
Thanks man.

I think dysfunctional relationships are a bummer, but it's not #metoo.

And MM trying to shoehorn her situation into that movement seems narcissistic and not right.

She has two albums of original material since summer of 2001. That's 18 years. She's been split from DRA for almost 4 years.

But yeah, let's put her shortcomings on DRA.

Personally, I think Andy Roddick deserves a little blame...
Old 04-23-2019, 02:28 PM   #2587
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes, he was a bad husband and insecure, etc.

But gatekeeping her talent? GMAFB. Who gatekept her talent from like 2002-2008?
She put out 3 albums between 02 and 08, so no one.

Quote:
A bad, bratty, selfish husband isn't #metoo. It's called a bad relationship.

Last time I checked, they split up in 2015. Where's her next record since then? Where's her grammy?
Since the divorce she's been on one of the biggest TV shows on US Television. So, kinda busy.

Quote:
DRA knowingly texting a 14 year old = bad.
DRA being manipulative to Natalie Prass = dickish, and bad.
lol I think it was a bit more than "being a bad husband" and even that phrase is purposely vague.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:31 PM   #2588
cs cat

cs cat is infamous around these parts

There is yet another Mandy Moore article I saw today about how she escaped her marriage with Ryan and how happy she is now. Ryan may or may not be guilty of what he's accused of but if Mandy is so happy now why does she need to repeat the same story to the press 1000 times. Shut up already.
cs cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:47 PM   #2589
thebalvenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs cat View Post
Shut up already.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:53 PM   #2590
TheHappiness

Quote:
She put out 3 albums between 02 and 08, so no one.

Since the divorce she's been on one of the biggest TV shows on US Television. So, kinda busy.

lol I think it was a bit more than "being a bad husband" and even that phrase is purposely vague.
One was a covers record. I think the other two were compilations. No?
Old 04-23-2019, 05:12 PM   #2591
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats. These are some of the hottest takes on how a woman is supposed to behave and what she's allowed to say since YouTube banned Roosh V livestreams.
Sydneyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:07 PM   #2592
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

And I've said it before, but this obsession some fans have with Mandy Moore is increasingly bizarre and probably counter-productive to your cause.

Ryan Adams is not being investigated by the FBI because he told his wife she wasn't a musician. Mandy Moore was not the only woman to make negative allegations about his behaviour. I highly doubt the NYT would have run a news story solely based on Mandy's experiences. I guess it easiest to just pick on what you perceive as the weakest link of an argument and ignore the rest though, isn't it?

There are probably legitimate discussions to be had about the potential for over-reach within the #metoo movement as well as the rise of cancel culture in general. I'm not seeing them at the moment though and I can't really see how they would apply in this case anyway.

Do the super fans honestly think that the best way to defend allegations of misogyny is to post constantly about how Mandy Moore is a talentless witch and laugh along with a guy who tweets what a slut Phoebe Bridgers is ? That's the plan?

Last edited by Sydneyfan; 04-23-2019 at 06:20 PM..
Sydneyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:41 PM   #2593
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
One was a covers record. I think the other two were compilations. No?
No idea.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:33 AM   #2594
TheHappiness

Quote:
No idea.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandy_Moore#Discography

Have an idea now?
Old 04-24-2019, 11:40 AM   #2595
Tim Simmons

Ok one cover album, 2 original records.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:45 AM   #2596
TheHappiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
And I've said it before, but this obsession some fans have with Mandy Moore is increasingly bizarre and probably counter-productive to your cause.

Ryan Adams is not being investigated by the FBI because he told his wife she wasn't a musician. Mandy Moore was not the only woman to make negative allegations about his behaviour. I highly doubt the NYT would have run a news story solely based on Mandy's experiences. I guess it easiest to just pick on what you perceive as the weakest link of an argument and ignore the rest though, isn't it?

There are probably legitimate discussions to be had about the potential for over-reach within the #metoo movement as well as the rise of cancel culture in general. I'm not seeing them at the moment though and I can't really see how they would apply in this case anyway.

Do the super fans honestly think that the best way to defend allegations of misogyny is to post constantly about how Mandy Moore is a talentless witch and laugh along with a guy who tweets what a slut Phoebe Bridgers is ? That's the plan?
Hey, way to go overboard.

Fact is, Mandy Moore was not #metoo. She wants it to be #metoo. She wants that sympathy and that excuse why she's released one album of original material since 2001.

I've always said, all that other stuff Adams is accused of needs shown the light of day. Was his 'thing' to promise record deals to Bridgers and others, only to have him flake out, or bail on it? That's certainly not good.

But even in Bridger's case, the 'phone sex' story isn't abuse either. It's a bad relationship (they were in a relationship, right)?

Adams was very shitty. To Bridgers, Prass and others. And if he knowingly chatted with a 14 or 15 year old, that's another can of worms altogether. Bad bad bad.

But, not helping Mandy Moore make a record and further his career is not a crime. And being a shitty, selfish husband isn't a crime either that's worthy of a NY Times article...
Old 04-24-2019, 11:49 AM   #2597
TheHappiness

Quote:
Ok one cover album, 2 original records.
And I think Adams had his fingerprints on Amanda Leigh. So actually from summer of 2001 to about 2008, Moore had one studio album of original material.

Which is fine!!! But it's not like she was turning out records every other year.

Other than compilations from when she was 19.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:55 AM   #2598
Tim Simmons

Quote:

But, not helping Mandy Moore make a record and further his career is not a crime. And being a shitty, selfish husband isn't a crime either that's worthy of a NY Times article...
No one has ever said either of these were a crime. But many have said they don't want to tolerate this kind of behavior. And it is intolerable. And according t what she said in the NYTimes piece, it is abuse.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:57 AM   #2599
Tim Simmons

Quote:
And I think Adams had his fingerprints on Amanda Leigh. So actually from summer of 2001 to about 2008, Moore had one studio album of original material.
She also made 5 films during this period (according to IMDB).
Old 04-24-2019, 12:10 PM   #2600
Tim Simmons

Just for reference (because we're 25 pages into this thread):

Quote:
when she parted ways with her music manager, Adams discouraged her from working with other producers or managers, she said, effectively leaving him in charge of her music career.
Quote:
They wrote songs together regularly that Adams promised to record, but never did. He booked them time at his studio, only to replace her with other female artists
Quote:
Adams lorded his artistic accomplishments over her, she said. “He would always tell me, ‘You’re not a real musician, because you don’t play an instrument.’”
Quote:
She released her sixth LP, completed before their marriage, shortly after they wed in 2009, and has released no albums since. “His controlling behavior essentially did block my ability to make new connections in the industry during a very pivotal and potentially lucrative time — my entire mid-to-late 20s,”
Sponsored Links