TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Gross Town > Ryan Adams Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Selling off your collection

Old 04-15-2019, 02:01 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute
Selling off your collection

Anyone else doing it?

Looking at the used bins at a couple of the stores I've gone too, I'm seeing a lot more Ryan Adams LPs.

As of now, I'm gonna hold onto the LIH Mofi and the Now That Your Gone 7" because I've got some memories tied to those. Don't think I'll listen to them, but I can't move on from them yet.
Tim Simmons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:13 PM   #2
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Selling off your collection

I'm keeping my collection. I went through some trouble for it.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:11 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

I did too. But theres no sense holding onto it if I'm not motivated to listen to it. Someone else might as well enjoy it.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:13 PM   #4
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
I did too. But theres no sense holding onto it if I'm not motivated to listen to it. Someone else might as well enjoy it.
Good point.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:23 PM   #5
thebambino

thebambino is a jewel in the roughthebambino is a jewel in the rough

i don’t think i’ll sell mine. but like you said, if time passes and i can’t listen to it, what’s the point? huh, not sure.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:27 PM   #6
folkjam

folkjam is a glorious beacon of lightfolkjam is a glorious beacon of lightfolkjam is a glorious beacon of light

I'm still sitting on it to see how I feel. I haven't looked at my collection, and I haven't felt an urge to listen to him lately. But collecting anything is a pretty irrational endeavor, and I think selling it all would be sadder than just leaving it.
folkjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:15 PM   #7
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all

got rid of the cds about a yr ago

sold off the vinyl within the last month or so
sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:32 PM   #8
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Nah not yet. Itís not like Iím broke or anything. I donít feel like listening to it now, but who knows. Iíll reassess further down the road.

The t shirts are definitely going in the trash though. Weirdly, I went to see Kurt Vile o the weekend and one of my friends wore her Ryan Adams t shirt, I was just like.... um...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:13 PM   #9
thebambino

thebambino is a jewel in the roughthebambino is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukin View Post
Nah not yet. Itís not like Iím broke or anything. I donít feel like listening to it now, but who knows. Iíll reassess further down the road.

The t shirts are definitely going in the trash though. Weirdly, I went to see Kurt Vile o the weekend and one of my friends wore her Ryan Adams t shirt, I was just like.... um...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah i have some pretty worn cardinals era shirts that i loved but now...
Old 04-16-2019, 09:03 AM   #10
FavoriteEver

FavoriteEver is a jewel in the roughFavoriteEver is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebambino View Post
yeah i have some pretty worn cardinals era shirts that i loved but now...
For some weird reason, wearing the tshirts I have has been harder than listening to the music. I suppose listening is something I can do in private, but wearing the shirt just advertises to the world that I enjoy the music of someone who abuses women. Not that 95% of the population would actually know that, but still. I know it, so it feels gross. Which sucks because they are some of the softest, most comfortable shirts I own.
FavoriteEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:16 AM   #11
Bart

Bart will become famous soon enough

Just know that you can always sell your stuff to Ryan

Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:43 AM   #12
folkjam

folkjam is a glorious beacon of lightfolkjam is a glorious beacon of lightfolkjam is a glorious beacon of light

"Dry-skinned-chum-baked-mackerel-soaked-choad-toaster" would have been one of Ryan's better recent lyrics.
folkjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:16 AM   #13
Tim Simmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
Just know that you can always sell your stuff to Ryan

I really hope the seller responded "Thank you for letting me make an extra hundred bucks plus covering cost off of you"
Old 04-16-2019, 11:10 AM   #14
Dan33185

Dan33185 is a jewel in the roughDan33185 is a jewel in the rough

Hasn't even crossed my mind, and if people want to sell of their collection, I'm guessing it means some of those prices will come down, which means I may be able to finally get some of the "unattainable" stuff I've been after for years.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:51 AM   #15
Electricityscape

Electricityscape is on a distinguished road

I'm not selling my collection and I will probably buy a new record (and III/IV if I find one for a nice price), if one gets released. I wasn't listening to Ryan that often anymore before everything went down. Nowadays I doubt I will consider him sincere when I do.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:47 PM   #16
The Black Map
Parallel Lines

The Black Map will become famous soon enough

I have a wonderful III/IV you can have - in fact, you can check out my whole collection on Discogs. Send me some PMs if you want to peruse.
The Black Map is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:10 PM   #17
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all

i donated the money i made off of my collection to rainn

https://www.rainn.org/

still looking to get rid of a limited edition gatefold ORION with crossing foggy mountains/valhalla 7" [plus stickers]
sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:02 PM   #18
2noavail

2noavail is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Map View Post
I have a wonderful III/IV you can have - in fact, you can check out my whole collection on Discogs. Send me some PMs if you want to peruse.
PM sent
2noavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:50 PM   #19
gavinm

gavinm has a spectacular aura about

I spent the last couple of years selling off my rare stuff. It was hard to do but we had bills to pay and I couldn't let them sit there when we were saving as a family. Now I cannot believe how fortunate I was. I think I got over £600 for Live After Deaf. I can't even remember how much I got for the murder cover of Rock n Roll or the first press of Carnegie.

The other stuff I couldn't sell. At some point I may be able to listen and enjoy it.
gavinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:14 PM   #20
Tim Simmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleigher View Post
i donated the money i made off of my collection to rainn

https://www.rainn.org/

still looking to get rid of a limited edition gatefold ORION with crossing foggy mountains/valhalla 7" [plus stickers]
I am in the process of selling off and plan on a RAINN donation as well.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:17 PM   #21
ManyFastCars

ManyFastCars is on a distinguished road

I've already sold my boxsets and will be selling the individual LP's very soon. I haven't listened since the article and have no desire to listen anytime soon. I still have the digital files, but have removed them from devices.
ManyFastCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:18 PM   #22
Tim Simmons

Yeah, I won't delete mp3s. They take up little to no space. I'll get a whole cube back in my expedit though.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:33 PM   #23
fr79

fr79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im keeping my collection. I have no issue with the music but cant really say I'll be listening to it. Those songs are embedded in my head so dont even have to. I have sold most of my doubles I had as that seemed pointless anyway. Freed up quite a bit of cash to buy records I dont have. Kept one original copy of everything.
fr79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:40 PM   #24
fr79

fr79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Doesnt seem to be a shortage of buyers.

Last edited by fr79; 04-18-2019 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: Just cos.
fr79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:25 PM   #25
sperman13
Just a drifter

sperman13 can only hope to improve

I'm new around here as well as as being a newer fan (roughly 3ish years) and I've gotten into collecting records recently and there's definitely been an uptick in DRA records for sale since the article dropped. This is fine by me as I want to build my collection of his records. Anyone know of a list of all DRA/Whiskeytown records organized by their rarity? That would help me a ton.
sperman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links