TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Horror Film Discussion & Recommendations

Old 10-04-2017, 08:41 AM   #301
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Horror Film Discussion & Recommendations

AMC Fearfest is only going to be a week this year. Really a let down.

Thank the heavens for Syfy's Annual "31 Days of Halloween".
Old 10-04-2017, 11:01 AM   #302
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by FavoriteEver View Post
Was this actually good? I watched the first like, 15 minutes and there was practically no dialogue so I got bored. Should I give it another shot? It's the Bad Batch. I just realize I quoted the wrong post.
haha - yeah its a strange one - but im really into that stuff - i love stuff like el topo and southland tales [way underrated and much better than donnie darko]

one of my favorite movies is gerry and theres a really really long tracking shot of two guys just walking in the desert - so - i guess you could say i like watching paint dry

its probly not for everyone - but i really liked it - strange/subversive stuff
sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:02 AM   #303
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
Recently found a DVD copy of the original Maniac. I'm looking forward to watching this again as it's been years. I recall it was extremely creepy.

sweet! ill totally watch this
Old 10-06-2017, 07:29 PM   #304
Dowd
Sandwich Eater

Dowd is a jewel in the roughDowd is a jewel in the rough

Although not strictly horror, I did manage to catch a screening of The Killing of a Sacred Deer last night and it was particularly unsettling. Anyone familiar with Yorgos Lanthimos' previous works (Dogtooth, The Lobster) will still probably have no idea what the fuck is going on. I didn't. But I did enjoy the film. If it's playing near you, definitely go see it and then get back to me to tell me what it was about. I have theories, but still. Weird.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:38 PM   #305
sleigher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowd View Post
Although not strictly horror, I did manage to catch a screening of The Killing of a Sacred Deer last night and it was particularly unsettling. Anyone familiar with Yorgos Lanthimos' previous works (Dogtooth, The Lobster) will still probably have no idea what the fuck is going on. I didn't. But I did enjoy the film. If it's playing near you, definitely go see it and then get back to me to tell me what it was about. I have theories, but still. Weird.
this is at the top of my must see list* - super geeked for it!

*along with 'a ghost story' and 'you were never really here'
Old 10-07-2017, 09:58 AM   #306
yesterday'seyes
Joe

yesterday'seyes is a name known to allyesterday'seyes is a name known to allyesterday'seyes is a name known to allyesterday'seyes is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStark211 View Post
We watched Gerald's Game last night. I must say it is one of the better Stephen King movie adaptations I have seen.
Loved this one.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:45 PM   #307
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesterday'seyes View Post
Loved this one.

Wasn't it so good?
Old 10-07-2017, 02:10 PM   #308
sleigher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStark211 View Post
Wasn't it so good?
read an article about the 'skin glove' scene

im not sure i saw much of it through my hands over my eyes

mama mia!
Old 10-08-2017, 11:35 PM   #309
gweeps
=

gweeps is a jewel in the roughgweeps is a jewel in the rough

Better Watch Out & Welcome to Willits have hit the webz.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:15 PM   #310
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

I'm watching that Exorcist TV show. It's not bad. I'm not really a series guy, but it's OK so far.
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:47 PM   #311
sleigher

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSkanky View Post
I'm watching that Exorcist TV show. It's not bad. I'm not really a series guy, but it's OK so far.
cant believe im admitting this but ive never seen the exorcist

always meant to watch the original - are any of the sequels worthwhile?
Old 10-09-2017, 11:23 PM   #312
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleigher View Post
cant believe im admitting this but ive never seen the exorcist

always meant to watch the original - are any of the sequels worthwhile?
The original is awesome... see that ASAP. Heretic: Exorcist II was weird and pretty bad. I really didn't get it, but I was pretty young when I saw it. Exorcist III has some cool moments. I saw one of the 2000s movies, but can't remember it.
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:19 AM   #313
sleigher

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSkanky View Post
The original is awesome... see that ASAP. Heretic: Exorcist II was weird and pretty bad. I really didn't get it, but I was pretty young when I saw it. Exorcist III has some cool moments. I saw one of the 2000s movies, but can't remember it.
excellent - thanks for the rundown - ill report back after viewing
Old 10-10-2017, 12:57 AM   #314
gweeps
=

First up for the annual Shocktober will be this one:

Old 10-10-2017, 03:57 AM   #315
an old love letter

an old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of light

Whispering corridors was cool
Old 10-10-2017, 02:33 PM   #316
sleigher

THIS is truly horrifying:

In a confrontation recorded by the NYPD of Weinstein and Filipina-Italian model and aspiring actress Ambra Battilana Gutierrez, Weinstein is heard instructing Gutierrez to come into his hotel room and sit in the bathroom for five minutes and drink water while he showers. Gutierrez repeatedly tells Weinstein that she does not feel comfortable and asks him why he touched her breast the previous day. “Oh, please, I’m sorry, just come on in, I’m used to that,” he tells her. “I won’t do it again … I swear on my children. Please come in. On everything, I’m a famous guy. Don’t ruin your friendship with me for five minutes.” Gutierrez is heard asking to leave before the conversation appears to end.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/10/nypd-...g-in-2015.html
Old 10-10-2017, 05:59 PM   #317
an old love letter

an old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of light

What a piece of shit
Old 10-10-2017, 10:20 PM   #318
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

It never ceases to amaze me how ugly and delusional power can make some people.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:49 PM   #319
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

Okay...I am a total n00b. Horror films haven't always been my thing, but there are films that have horror elements that I like, such as Get Out. I'm also a little nostalgic for things like Halloween, Carrie, and Army of Darkness.

If I was going to start dipping my toes in contemporary (or classic) horror, where would I start?
(I won't do Exorcist or Paranormal Activity.)

Thanks!
ishellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:24 PM   #320
sleigher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishellmay View Post
If I was going to start dipping my toes in contemporary horror, where would I start?
audition
the babadook
borgman
the cabin in the woods
creep
a cure for wellness
the descent
goodnight mommy
the guest
it follows
oldboy
rubber
the strangers
the visit
yer next

Last edited by sleigher; 10-11-2017 at 10:09 AM..
Old 10-11-2017, 02:35 AM   #321
gweeps
=

Don't forget the classic 3 John Carpenter's:

The Thing (1982)
Prince of Darkness
In the Mouth of Madness
Old 10-11-2017, 07:32 AM   #322
FavoriteEver

FavoriteEver is a jewel in the roughFavoriteEver is a jewel in the rough

I thought The Strangers was really really good. I like watching horror movies but I also have a hard time with them because I'm not into super gorey stuff or supernatural stuff. Plus a lot of them are super predictable and just kind of lame in general. I like the sensation of feeling scared, and movies that do that to me best are movies that are realistic, where I'm sitting there thinking "holy shit, I could see this happening". I think The Strangers is probably the movie from the past 10 years that has scared me the most because of that element.

Funny Games would probably do it for me too, I just haven't worked up the nerve to watch it yet, but I've read a lot about it.
FavoriteEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:11 AM   #323
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I thought The Strangers was really really good. I like watching horror movies but I also have a hard time with them because I'm not into super gorey stuff or supernatural stuff. Plus a lot of them are super predictable and just kind of lame in general. I like the sensation of feeling scared, and movies that do that to me best are movies that are realistic, where I'm sitting there thinking "holy shit, I could see this happening". I think The Strangers is probably the movie from the past 10 years that has scared me the most because of that element.

Funny Games would probably do it for me too, I just haven't worked up the nerve to watch it yet, but I've read a lot about it.
watch both versions of funny games.

it'll fuck you up

human beings suck
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:58 AM   #324
sleigher

Quote:
I like the sensation of feeling scared, and movies that do that to me best are movies that are realistic, where I'm sitting there thinking "holy shit, I could see this happening". I think The Strangers is probably the movie from the past 10 years that has scared me the most because of that element.
The film was inspired by true events from Bertino's childhood:

"As a kid, I lived in a house on a street in the middle of nowhere. One night, while our parents were out, somebody knocked on the front door and my little sister answered it. At the door were some people asking for somebody who didn't live there. We later found out that these people were knocking on doors on the area and, if no one was home, breaking into the houses."

In interviews, Bertino stated he was "very impressed" with some of the theories circulating on the Internet about the "true events" the movie is allegedly based on, but said that his main inspiration was the true crime book Helter Skelter about the Manson Family murders; some have said that the film was also inspired by the unsolved Keddie Cabin Murders of 1981 that occurred in a small vacation community in California's Sierra Nevada. The film's premise has been compared by some film critics to the French horror film Them, released two years earlier.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:08 AM   #325
sleigher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishellmay View Post
If I was going to start dipping my toes in classic horror, where would I start?
early brian de palma [body double/carrie/dressed to kill/the fury/obsession/sisters]
the amityville horror
black christmas
the cabinet of dr caligari
chopping mall
death spa
dont look now
house [1977 - not the lame 80s william katt movie of the same name]
the last house on the left [original]
sleepaway camp
suspiria
texas chainsaw massacre
troll II