TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Gross Town > Ryan Adams Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ryan Adams, abuse, the Stans, and people who believe no apology is good enough

Old 02-21-2019, 09:37 AM   #1851
Dogfootblues

Dogfootblues has a spectacular aura about
Re: Your favorite singer/songwriter is a Perv: The Thread

You really think he would tour this soon? He couldn’t handle summer of 69’ insults. How do you think he would handle the insults these days?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dogfootblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:39 AM   #1852
loveisreal

loveisreal can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfootblues View Post
You really think he would tour this soon? He couldn’t handle summer of 69’ insults. How do you think he would handle the insults these days?
Maybe really loud and short. Like 1984.
loveisreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:44 AM   #1853
happyhead

happyhead is an unknown quantity at this point

Did it end up selling out? Maybe he's just going to grin and bear it if it's still on? Maybe he isn't taking the thrashing he is here in the UK press?
happyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:44 AM   #1854
folkjam

folkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to all

I still suspect that an official cancellation will come in March, but I'm curious if he's trying to stretch this out because these accusations violate his tour insurance contract. A lot more character clauses are being put in entertainment contracts now, and he might not be able to take that financial hit.
folkjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:50 AM   #1855
The Lizard King

The Lizard King is on a distinguished road

It's very amusing to see that the people hurling abuse and insults here are the very people who are condemning Ryan for emotional abuse.
The Lizard King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:51 AM   #1856
Hooper

Hooper will become famous soon enough

Depends on how sales are. If he's already counting on the money, he may do better to try than just call it off and refund. No skin off his nose if people pay but don't turn up. Outside of venues cancelling, depending on their legal/financial standing, the biggest worry is going to be hecklers. Don't doubt some would buy tickets just to have a go at him.

I'm guessing a tour would now be solo - I can't think anyone's going to want to be in a band with him for a good while. So not much way to put up a wall of noise to hide behind.

I could see him chancing a charm offensive (love that phrase...). He goes out and plays loveable goofy Ryan. Or even takes the opportunity to have a captive audience, try to work a crowd, spin his defense.
Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:57 AM   #1857
happyhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooper View Post
Depends on how sales are. If he's already counting on the money, he may do better to try than just call it off and refund. No skin off his nose if people pay but don't turn up. Outside of venues cancelling, depending on their legal/financial standing, the biggest worry is going to be hecklers. Don't doubt some would buy tickets just to have a go at him.

I'm guessing a tour would now be solo - I can't think anyone's going to want to be in a band with him for a good while. So not much way to put up a wall of noise to hide behind.

I could see him chancing a charm offensive (love that phrase...). He goes out and plays loveable goofy Ryan. Or even takes the opportunity to have a captive audience, try to work a crowd, spin his defense.
Would this solo charm offensive tour be called "The To Be Old Is To Still Be Sad and To Still Be High But That Abuse Stuff Isn't True Tour"?
Old 02-21-2019, 09:58 AM   #1858
Hooper

Hooper will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lizard King View Post
It's very amusing to see that the people hurling abuse and insults here are the very people who are condemning Ryan for emotional abuse.
As it is to see those who think Ryan didn't do anything wrong getting their knickers in a twist about an insult.
Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:59 AM   #1859
loveisreal

Yes i'm also pretty sure that there would be a lot of people interested to go and see him. There will be all those people that are hungry for scandals. To see what will happen, what he will say etc. People love scandals. Hell they loved charles manson and shit.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:00 AM   #1860
The Lizard King

The Lizard King is on a distinguished road

Quote:
As it is to see those who think Ryan didn't do anything wrong getting their knickers in a twist about an insult.
I never said he didn't do anything wrong. Nor am i getting agitated in any way.

Calm down pet.
The Lizard King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:01 AM   #1861
a devil in paradise
massively dull

a devil in paradise is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I missed the posts from people who didn't think Ryan did anything wrong... is that in another thread? (Admittedly I'm just skimming anyway).
a devil in paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:08 AM   #1862
blackmoon

blackmoon is an unknown quantity at this point

He will tour and soon
blackmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:12 AM   #1863
rn0982

rn0982 will become famous soon enough

Tim Simmons, folkjam, heitrel, bruit, Rob, FavoriteEver, and others I am missing, I have run out of reputation points to give for 24 hours lol so thank you for keeping up the sanity in this joint.

To shamooth and blackmoon:

Look - no one is saying the NYT (or any other publication, obviously see the Jussie Smollett case, Duke lacrosse, etc) never ever screws up, of course they do. Obviously is technically possible that all of these stories were completely made up by several different men and women, technically possible that the NYT reporters did not do their homework, technically possible that it is some fake news bullshit or paid actors. It's also technically possible that I am going to win the biggest lottery of all time and give you all $1B each.

But you know what? Until something equally concrete and convincing comes out to refute the stories that have been told by NYT and other musicians, etc that have had experiences with him, I am going to take the side of the "alleged" victims and not defend the "alleged" perpetrator, as yes so far it is all alleged.

I am 100% with you on the idea that alleged doesn't mean guilty and no sane person would think that the definition of alleged means guilty and that is your perogative to wait and see. However this isn't a traffic ticket...it's a bit more than that and it's not one person's word vs another person's word - it's tens and tens of people coming out to say things (small or large, on top of all that we know about his personality before all this broke) vs one guy. No one in his inner circle as of yet has defended him. In fact - his seemingly closest friend over the last few years Todd Weisenbaker (Totally Tod) came out and said basically that Ryan has lied to him for years and that the guy is a monster. Is he just saying that to save face? Maybe, but I highly, highly doubt it.

P.S. I will be the first to defend Ryan if all this blows up as some insane conspiracy created by Jeff Tweedy to attempt to bring down his greatest alt-country rival from the 90s, because his music has meant so much to my life and it sucks that it is now tainted by this. I just think it's a low likelihood event so I will stay on the side of the women that have had actual relationships and experiences with him and assume that they are telling the truth.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:14 AM   #1864
BigColors

BigColors will become famous soon enough

Do any of you guys enjoy peanut butter + bananas on your bagel? Or do you mainly stick to cream cheese?

(this arguing back and forth is getting old)
BigColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:14 AM   #1865
happyhead

Oh my gawd is Tweedy behind all this???!!! I thought the thought but didn't want to consider the dark possibility so I beat the thought back down....
Old 02-21-2019, 10:22 AM   #1866
blackmoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn0982 View Post
Tim Simmons, folkjam, heitrel, bruit, Rob, FavoriteEver, and others I am missing, I have run out of reputation points to give for 24 hours lol so thank you for keeping up the sanity in this joint.

To shamooth and blackmoon:

Look - no one is saying the NYT (or any other publication, obviously see the Jussie Smollett case, Duke lacrosse, etc) never ever screws up, of course they do. Obviously is technically possible that all of these stories were completely made up by several different men and women, technically possible that the NYT reporters did not do their homework, technically possible that it is some fake news bullshit or paid actors. It's also technically possible that I am going to win the biggest lottery of all time and give you all $1B each.

But you know what? Until something equally concrete and convincing comes out to refute the stories that have been told by NYT and other musicians, etc that have had experiences with him, I am going to take the side of the "alleged" victims and not defend the "alleged" perpetrator, as yes so far it is all alleged.

I am 100% with you on the idea that alleged doesn't mean guilty and no sane person would think that the definition of alleged means guilty and that is your perogative to wait and see. However this isn't a traffic ticket...it's a bit more than that and it's not one person's word vs another person's word - it's tens and tens of people coming out to say things (small or large, on top of all that we know about his personality before all this broke) vs one guy. No one in his inner circle as of yet has defended him. In fact - his seemingly closest friend over the last few years Todd Weisenbaker (Totally Tod) came out and said basically that Ryan has lied to him for years and that the guy is a monster. Is he just saying that to save face? Maybe, but I highly, highly doubt it.

P.S. I will be the first to defend Ryan if all this blows up as some insane conspiracy created by Jeff Tweedy to attempt to bring down his greatest alt-country rival from the 90s, because his music has meant so much to my life and it sucks that it is now tainted by this. I just think it's a low likelihood event so I will stay on the side of the women that have had actual relationships and experiences with him and assume that they are telling the truth.
I appreciate your response and while it doesn’t look good I am interested in Ryan’s account of events before I completely write him off. That is all I was saying and some people can’t understand that, which to me is strange
Old 02-21-2019, 10:24 AM   #1867
Rob
Administrator

Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmoon View Post
I appreciate your response and while it doesn’t look good I am interested in Ryan’s account of events before I completely write him off. That is all I was saying and some people can’t understand that, which to me is strange
He doesn't remember it. He's made his statement.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:25 AM   #1868
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

Thats true. He's had his opportunity to speak on it. So its he said vs she said. We have the arguments. We can make up our minds.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:26 AM   #1869
sunflowerblu
the patterns on your dress

sunflowerblu will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveisreal View Post
I think there are a few indications that he was really emotionally interested and not just after the sex. For example the many text messages and the threat "i kill myself if you don't respond" (typical reactions for jealous people). Would you actually behave like that if it was just the sex you are after? To me all that means that he is just a very difficult guy in relationships. But that really does not make him a monster.
That's not romance, that's abuse.
sunflowerblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:30 AM   #1870
loveisreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
Thats true. He's had his opportunity to speak on it. So its he said vs she said. We have the arguments. We can make up our minds.
I don't think he wrote the statements himself. They were written by his lawyers. And now they forbid him to say anything. If you apologise it is an admission of guilt. So he can't do that as long as there is an investigation running.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:32 AM   #1871
happyhead

Yea he definitely didn't write that. There wasn't even one mention of Slayer or pizza or rescue cats or the eternal brilliance of John Mayer.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:33 AM   #1872
rn0982

rn0982 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmoon View Post
I am interested to hear his side as well...but I can't imagine it will be anything more than him refuting what was said, and again, after all the accusations, his words mean very little.

The guy obviously has mental issues and lots of drug problems (and using while claiming to be sober) so that all created a bad situation and it sucks for all involved. But although I feel bad for him that he has issues that he hasn't been able to deal with, I can't imagine him being able to say anything that would prove his innocence in all of this, and of course I mean I am empathetic that he has a drug problem and mental issues, but that's not close to the empathy I feel for people who have had to deal with and put up with his bullshit and abuse (and there are varying levels of abuse).

But if somehow right now he is hunkered down and compiling all of his old messages and phone records and maybe he is a strange dude who keeps a secret recording pen in his shirt pocket at all times and can prove that all of this is bullshit - I will welcome him back with open arms. Until then, he's a dude that creeped and flashed his junk to a 16 year old (maybe not knowing her age but at the very least suspecting it was a close call...) and was a manipulative romantic and musical partner that used his power and influence to attempt to get laid and/or keep a relationship going.

Last edited by rn0982; 02-21-2019 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: 14 > 16
rn0982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:37 AM   #1873
Knotnow

Knotnow will become famous soon enough

Quote:

I feel like there are a lot of variables with the tour situation.

Is it even his call at all? Will the venues want any association with him? Since his album is on hold or cancelled, could he even play new songs (who owns the rights)? I wonder how many people would show up and if they would even have an option for a refund if it actually still happened. I really think it’s going to be cancelled, but I’m still intrigued that it’s taking them so long to make an announcement about it. I think I’ve heard you can even still buy tickets as of now??

If it’s not, then I wonder if he knew that it wouldn’t be and that’s why he was throwing a fit to sell it out the day before. His last chance at some major cash.

ETA: Can you even leave the country while under FBI investigation?

Last edited by Knotnow; 02-21-2019 at 10:42 AM..
Knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:46 AM   #1874
happyhead

You can leave as long as you haven't been hit with an order to turn in your passport, which he hasn't. He hasn't been questioned. It's just an inquiry/investigation at this point.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:48 AM   #1875
blackmoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
He doesn't remember it. He's made his statement.

Are you kidding? A brief reactionary tweet
Sponsored Links