TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Wiki Arcade Photos Mark Forums Read

Need dog recommendations

Old 08-02-2009, 09:26 PM   #26
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need dog recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukin View Post
Not to mention people going and getting free dogs for cage fights.
Yeah, good point. And I've heard that some people use live rabbits and kittens to train greyhounds to chase.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:31 PM   #27
La Cienega
la la la la la

La Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant future

people are fucked up. at the SPCA here, they won't even adopt black cats out for the entire month of october because weirdos just want them as halloween props or something.

Magnolia Mountain : We'll be an approved fansite in no time, thanks to La's rack!

last.fm
La Cienega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:42 PM   #28
ferris wheel junkie
the hell is thish words??

ferris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud of

i don't think being suddenly sober is a very good reason to get a dog. it probably won't solve anything.
ferris wheel junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:48 PM   #29
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Cienega View Post
seriously! who knew hank was such a badass!
It's in his ear too! I'd never get that done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferris wheel junkie View Post
i don't think being suddenly sober is a very good reason to get a dog. it probably won't solve anything.
I know they did an interview with me when I adopted my kitties. My reason for adopting, living arrangements, etc. Not sure if "suddenly sober" is on that list.

Suddenly Sober sounds like the name for a hilarious sitcom. I'll get writing.
hildegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:59 PM   #30
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildegoat View Post

Suddenly Sober sounds like the name for a hilarious sitcom. I'll get writing.
Maybe the main character could decide to give up drinking after he wakes up one morning to find he somehow adopted a Chinese Crested dog during a week long boubon bender.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:00 PM   #31
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

It would be even better if he woke up next to one in bed after a night on the town!
Old 08-02-2009, 10:06 PM   #32
Sydneyfan

Quote:
It would be even better if he woke up next to one in bed after a night on the town!
'He had always been a huge fan of The Cure. But that morning, through bloodshot eyes and a pounding headache he rolled over in his bed to realise what a horrible mistake he had made...."

Old 08-02-2009, 10:07 PM   #33
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

Boys Don't Cry, except when you realize that dog is licking your face.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:13 PM   #34
thunderoad
Real Gone

thunderoad is a glorious beacon of lightthunderoad is a glorious beacon of lightthunderoad is a glorious beacon of light

Cairn Terrier is a pretty good choice, with good training they are some of the less intense terriers, I know a few and they are all good, mellow yet outgoing dogs. I wouldn't say that about most breeds, I work at an animal hospital... and obviously a big dog lover, but it really ruins a lot of breeds once you have to work with them. I have hefty list of dog breeds I cannot stand.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:14 PM   #35
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Boys Don't Cry, except when you realize that dog is licking your face.
I will see you at the 2010 Emmy Awards sir.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:21 PM   #36
thunderoad
Real Gone

thunderoad is a glorious beacon of lightthunderoad is a glorious beacon of lightthunderoad is a glorious beacon of light

MY new puppy as of last week:

it's a brussell griffon mix... so far he's been good, crate training was easy and he hasn't had any accidents after his first day. The dog I got last year has been so good, great in public and the dog parks and does so many useless but very cute tricks, that I feel like I will be bummed if this little guy falls short. Which is pretty lame, but he'll be starting classes as soon as his vaccines are all done.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:25 PM   #37
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderoad View Post
MY new puppy as of last week:

it's a brussell griffon mix... so far he's been good, crate training was easy and he hasn't had any accidents after his first day. The dog I got last year has been so good, great in public and the dog parks and does so many useless but very cute tricks, that I feel like I will be bummed if this little guy falls short. Which is pretty lame, but he'll be starting classes as soon as his vaccines are all done.
He is lovely thunderoad.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:27 PM   #38
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
I will see you at the 2010 Emmy Awards sir.
30 Rock, step aside. Your time is up.
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:29 AM   #39
bruit
Yo Fat Chow

bruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I paid $100 each for my two shelter kittens. That included vet check, deworming, microchipping and a blood test to check they didn't have any identifiable hereditary diseases, health problems etc. I also was able to have them both neutered for half price at a local vet because I got them from the shelter.
And, as la said, they need to charge not only to cover costs, but to ensure that people don't just take these animals on a passing whim. If you give them away, it makes it too easy for foolish people to fall in love with the cute kitten and then abandon it in six months time when they grow bored with it.
I paid $700 for Yoshi. Which is funny enough in itself... but then the breeder has never sent his papers and now has a disconnected phone #. SO HAHA on me- the wild ass/frothing German Shepard in their backyard wasn't really their 'brothers' dog.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:34 AM   #40
ferris wheel junkie

ferris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud of

if you want a dog as a pet, you probably should be prepared to actually spend some money on it. if you don't like the initial cost - what'll it be like down the road if the pet needs expensive vet stuff?
if you don't want to spend the money, go for something like a fish.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:34 AM   #41
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

Speaking of dogs, I was over at my friend's house a couple of weekends ago and they have this rickety wooden fence separating them from their neighbor. I guess they had to reinforce it because when they first moved in, the neighbor's MASSIVE dog would jump and the fence and it'd sway a good couple of feet. Scared the crap out of my friend when he mowed the lawn the first time.

I've never actually seen the dog, but he jumped up against the fence when someone peered over to get a look. I stayed on the other side of the yard for the rest of the night.

It reminded me a lot of The Sandlot.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:35 AM   #42
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruit View Post
I paid $700 for Yoshi. Which is funny enough in itself... but then the breeder has never sent his papers and now has a disconnected phone #. SO HAHA on me- the wild ass/frothing German Shepard in their backyard wasn't really their 'brothers' dog.
Yeah, I think some of these breeders are snake oil salesmen to be honest. My girlfriend paid about $400 for a pure bred "rag doll cat". They are these long haired cats that are supposedly really passive and just want to sit on your lap all day long. The cat she got had long hair but was totally neurotic and as dumb as a brick. It died of a heart attack at the vet's having its coat clipped when it was six months old. Turned out that it had a congenital heart defect most commonly found in cats that have been inbred for several generations. When my friend Jo tried to contact the breeder it turned out she had gone out of business.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:37 AM   #43
clewis
gangster

clewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud of

Quote:
Speaking of dogs, I was over at my friend's house a couple of weekends ago and they have this rickety wooden fence separating them from their neighbor. I guess they had to reinforce it because when they first moved in, the neighbor's MASSIVE dog would jump and the fence and it'd sway a good couple of feet. Scared the crap out of my friend when he mowed the lawn the first time.

I've never actually seen the dog, but he jumped up against the fence when someone peered over to get a look. I stayed on the other side of the yard for the rest of the night.

It reminded me a lot of The Sandlot.
I'm amazed how many people have not seen that movie/don't get my reference when I see a huge and scary dog.
clewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:38 AM   #44
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Yeah, I think some of these breeders are snake oil salesmen to be honest. My girlfriend paid about $400 for a pure bred "rag doll cat". They are these long haired cats that are supposedly really passive and just want to sit on your lap all day long. The cat she got had long hair but was totally neurotic and as dumb as a brick. It died of a heart attack at the vet's having its coat clipped when it was six months old. Turned out that it had a congenital heart defect most commonly found in cats that have been inbred for several generations. when my friend Jo tried to contact the breeder it turned out she had gone out of business.
My parents have a ragdoll and it is beautiful. They bought it from some nice old people who breed them and were very reputable. But he is the dumbest cat I've ever known. Never scratched anyone ever and has the weekest meow of any cat in the world. So so cute. But I prefer my parent's other cat, just an everyday tabby but he has a personality that I just love.
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:59 AM   #45
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukin View Post
My parents have a ragdoll and it is beautiful. They bought it from some nice old people who breed them and were very reputable. But he is the dumbest cat I've ever known. Never scratched anyone ever and has the weekest meow of any cat in the world. So so cute. But I prefer my parent's other cat, just an everyday tabby but he has a personality that I just love.
I'll let my friend know that - she just assumed the cat was dumb because of the inbreeding. And my tabby Ace has easily the biggest personality of my little cat tribe; he's feisty and talkative but also really affectionate. Maybe its a tabby thing.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:56 AM   #46
roxy031
Barkley Loves You.

roxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Cienega View Post
I think shelters charge adoption fees to help support all the care (shelter/food/medical care/spaying or neutering, etc.) they've given the dog/cat you adopt, and from what I've heard, to keep people from just adopting animals willy-nilly without putting some real thought into it. $150 is NOTHING compared to what caring for a dog for it's whole life is going to cost... heck, one trip to the vet will top that. And most shelters won't let animals out without spaying or neutering them first. If you find a free puppy in the newspaper from someone's accidental litter, you'd probably spend that $150 to go get it spayed/neutered anyways (I hope!). Sorry if I sounded preachy, but yeah, if you're wincing at $150 to adopt the dog you should probably think twice about getting it in the first place.

The San Francisco SPCA won't even let you adopt a dog without paying for their obedience classes, because they know dogs that don't go through obedience class are more likely to wind up back in the shelter when new owners get fed up with bad behaviors. I don't think it's a bad idea at all.
100% agree. Vet bills can be very expensive, even if the dog is completely healthy. Heartworm medicine, flea/tick medicine, shots and vaccinations, grooming - these things add up quickly. Not to mention food, treats, beds, crates, leashes, toys. You have to be prepared for a huge financial commitment, and you owe it to your pet to be fully prepared for it and be able to take care of it. Otherwise you're not doing it any favors by adopting it and it's better off in the shelter. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's the reality of being a responsible pet owner.

Quote:
if you want a dog as a pet, you probably should be prepared to actually spend some money on it. if you don't like the initial cost - what'll it be like down the road if the pet needs expensive vet stuff?
if you don't want to spend the money, go for something like a fish.
Even if the pet doesn't need expensive stuff. Just regular care is expensive. If the animal gets sick or has any health problems, it can be astronomical. Take it from me - my dog had regular ear infections, diabetes, hip problems, and cancer. But she was taken care of even if it meant me eating nothing but peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for months.

Again, I don't mean to sound harsh but this is something I feel strongly about. And whoever said being "suddenly sober" is maybe not the best reason to get a pet, I agree with that too. You should get a pet because you want to make an animal's life better, not to fill some void that you feel in your own life. I don't know if that makes sense but I don't know how else to word it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clewis View Post
I'm amazed how many people have not seen that movie/don't get my reference when I see a huge and scary dog.
Same here, C!!
roxy031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:07 AM   #47
ferris wheel junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy031 View Post
100% agree. Vet bills can be very expensive, even if the dog is completely healthy. Heartworm medicine, flea/tick medicine, shots and vaccinations, grooming - these things add up quickly. Not to mention food, treats, beds, crates, leashes, toys. You have to be prepared for a huge financial commitment, and you owe it to your pet to be fully prepared for it and be able to take care of it. Otherwise you're not doing it any favors by adopting it and it's better off in the shelter. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's the reality of being a responsible pet owner.

Even if the pet doesn't need expensive stuff. Just regular care is expensive. If the animal gets sick or has any health problems, it can be astronomical. Take it from me - my dog had regular ear infections, diabetes, hip problems, and cancer. But she was taken care of even if it meant me eating nothing but peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for months.

Again, I don't mean to sound harsh but this is something I feel strongly about. And whoever said being "suddenly sober" is maybe not the best reason to get a pet, I agree with that too. You should get a pet because you want to make an animal's life better, not to fill some void that you feel in your own life. I don't know if that makes sense but I don't know how else to word it.
by "expensive vet stuff" i meant everything you listed above, all that normal vet stuff adds up to way more than the initial $150.

and it was me who made the suddenly sober comment.

attempting to improve your life and getting healthy and stuff is great, but it doesn't sound to me as though maven really needs a dog at this point. just my opinion.

but roxy and la have put it much more eloquently

maven - please don't be offended, it just doesn't seem as though you realise what a commitment having a dog would be. it certainly wouldn't be any kind of magical solution to not enjoying life as a non-drinker.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:25 AM   #48
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

They're quite expensive, but I love french bulldogs.

Very sweet temperament. They have spazzy moments, but they're not bad barkers. Not particularly obedient in the traditional sense, but really lots of fun. My parents have one.
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:59 AM   #49
roxy031
Barkley Loves You.

roxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
maven - please don't be offended, it just doesn't seem as though you realise what a commitment having a dog would be. it certainly wouldn't be any kind of magical solution to not enjoying life as a non-drinker.
I agree.

Maven, if you are serious about wanting a dog, I think a good idea would be to volunteer at your local shelter for a few months. It would be a good way to spend your time and keep your mind occupied, but also it would give you a chance to learn more about different breeds of dogs and be around them, so you're learning without having the full-on responsibility of ownership.
roxy031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:03 AM   #50
Destroyer
I got high...

Destroyer is on a distinguished road

Shitzu
Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
dogs, pets, yoshi rules