TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Wiki Arcade Photos Mark Forums Read

Need dog recommendations

Old 08-03-2009, 10:00 AM   #51
thunderoad
Real Gone

thunderoad is a glorious beacon of lightthunderoad is a glorious beacon of lightthunderoad is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Need dog recommendations

vet care can be pretty pricey... if you get a puppy be expected to pay approx. 250 for all vaccines, deworming, exams, fecal tests etc... and then another 130 for spay/neutering ... thats not even counting food, supplies, toys, training classes etc...
Old 08-03-2009, 10:44 AM   #52
bruit
Yo Fat Chow

bruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy031 View Post
Ahem.
Maven, you snoozed you losed. I'm shipping him to Roxy, let's pray he doesn't bring the plane down.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:26 AM   #53
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

He'll somehow chew the emergency exit open.
hildegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:31 AM   #54
bruit
Yo Fat Chow

bruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildegoat View Post
He'll somehow chew the emergency exit open.
Then he will pee on it... before he throws everyone out (after he steals everyone's peanuts/pretzals).
Old 08-03-2009, 11:38 AM   #55
Nergle111

Nergle111 is on a distinguished road

Maven- you've inspired me to start a new thread!
Old 08-05-2009, 12:12 AM   #56
Maven

Maven has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nergle111 View Post
Maven- you've inspired me to start a new thread!
So, wot's your new thread?

Bruit, where's my dog? I told you I want a terrier mix: that gladiator creature you got on your avatar ain't no terrier mix. What do you take me for: naive??? I've read all the Dog Breeds books.

I want a small-to-mid sized-dog (no more than 20 pounds), sweet, affectionate, not timid, trained, non-barker, non-shedder, non-chewer, non-biter, poops only in one corner of the yard where I can clean it up easily, will sit on couch with me to watch TV at night, and sleep (quietly) in a basket at the foot of my bed during the night-time.

So, there's your mission. Have fun, and good luck! And, thanks again. You're a pal!
Maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:04 AM   #57
thunderoad
Real Gone

thunderoad is a glorious beacon of lightthunderoad is a glorious beacon of lightthunderoad is a glorious beacon of light

bichon frise or shih tzu and take it to training

the end.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:42 AM   #58
Maven

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderoad View Post
bichon frise or shih tzu and take it to training

the end.
Yeah, but those breeds both shed, I believe. My mom wants a non-shedder so that her prescious carpets aren't constantly covered with dog fur. We're thinking smooth-haired fox terrier now or a Jack Russell mix. A Cairn terrier is nice, but they're pretty shaggy.

We don't want a Chihauha.... too yappy/trembly.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:43 AM   #59
thunderoad
Real Gone

they don't shed. i know because the groomer at work gets them and sometimes people dont brush them and the hair grows and grows and soon they get matted and homeless looking.

jack russells shed like crazy plus they're neurotic as hell and bark up a storm, i don't think cairns shed much.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:19 AM   #60
Maven

Quote:
they don't shed. i know because the groomer at work gets them and sometimes people dont brush them and the hair grows and grows and soon they get matted and homeless looking.

jack russells shed like crazy plus they're neurotic as hell and bark up a storm, i don't think cairns shed much.
Thanx for the feedback. I esp. like what you said about Cairns, coz I really like them a lot. Think I'll call up a couple of breeders and see what they have to say (hopefully not being tooooo biased by wanting to see me one of their dogs: I've not got the bux at present to pay $400 for a purebred Cairn terrier).

I'll keep in mind about Jack Russells too. I have heard that they are SUPER energetic, which prob wouldn't work for our mellow household.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:17 PM   #61
Glaser
Detergent Sniffer

Glaser will become famous soon enough

Quote:

bisons and shitzu don't shed but are not the smartest dogs (my cousins have both breeds).

Jack Russells are crazy -- don't leave them home alone.

terrier mix not bad but it depends on the terrier -- some terriers are high strung -- try a woodle -- a mix of a wheaten terrier and a poodle.

I like cairn terriers but you need to be careful on breeders.

good luck.
Glaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:23 AM   #62
thunderoad
Real Gone

true, but i think with form training both bichonies and shitties can be very well behaved and they're usually mellow household dogs and energetic when you want them too. they're both wonderful companions ...as are a lot of poodley mixes... they seem to thrive from bonds to their humans.

breeders all around are icky, i wouldn't even know where to start.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:33 AM   #63
Maven

Listen, all you dissenters, I've wanted a dog for about 10 years now, and just have the time right now (not working very much due to economy, so home a lot) and have more energy now (not spending money/energy boozing it up, which turns me into a couch potato with near zero energy), and I think a dog will be a lovely addition to our household (as I've been thinking for a long while now, but I have to get past the fact that my mom doesn't want me to have another animal. However, although my mom doesn't realize it at the moment, she WILL love it too [heck, she didn't want me to get the 2nd cat, and she loves that cat more than me!], and my cats are just gonna ADORE having a dog to play with. (Slight sarcasm in that last statement). I just feel stable now, and in charge of my life, and no longer in the "fog world" of when I drank every day (which is not a great idea when you need to focus on taken proper care of animals).

I utterly agree that a dog is a big responsibility. I will walk it every morning, every evening just before dark, I will clean it's poop up, brush it every day (maybe several times), take it to obedience class, won't let my cats beat it up.... what more do you people want? Testimonials that I'm sufficiently sober to handle it? I assure you I am. And it's not some sort of band-aide measure to cheer me up coz I miss the booze. I've already got a replacement for that --- those "Cola" Red Bulls...... yuuuummmmmmmm, esp. when mixed with Perrier and crushed ice. Give you energy AND hydrate you at the same time.

Oh, and if I need money for vet bills for the dog, I'll borrow from Moneybags (my mom). I just can't borrow money from her to BUY the dog when she doesn't approve of me buying a dog in the first place. What will happen is, I bring dog home, she is mad for about 5 minutes, then has to admit it really is pretty cute, and am I sure it's not gonna poop in her house (that last part might be the trickiest). From what I've read in dog obedience books, MOST dogs can be trained to do their poops/pees outside, and are smart enough to let you know when they need to go. Come on: my sister who lives 15 minutes away has TWO dogs: one a Bernese Mountain Dog the size of a small pony that they've trained to be an absolute angel. I will have LOTS of help in getting the new dog well trained so that my mom won't be so angry I got a third animal when she thought she thought that I shouldn't have a dog. (She is just plain wrong,.... sorry, mom). She's gonna be very pleasantly surprised by how much more fun a dog is than two cats who sleep 20 hours a day.

Frankly, my ex "drinking problem" was barely that bad: many people have a couple drinks a day. "Somebody here" made a big deal about it, but it just wasn't really (that big of a deal). I just exaggerated it to my doc so that I could detox with valium coz I was paranoid about the DTs, which it was doubtful I would have gotten anyway (with the amount I used to drink). So I detoxed, so I no longer physically crave booze, and I've found other things to drink that give me pleasure without getting a liquor buzz. (I swear you guys: those Cola Red Bulls are screaming!).
Old 08-07-2009, 01:09 AM   #64
thunderoad
Real Gone

I physically crave booze after that last post
Old 08-07-2009, 02:12 PM   #65
robotulism
not really here

robotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant future

I love Boston Terriers.
I used to hate little dogs, but I lived with one for a long time that had only one eye (pit bull incident) and he was literally the best dog I have ever encountered. (Although I am sure I would have loved loved Shady.) The snoring is a little crazy, but I find it adorable.
robotulism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:24 PM   #66
wonderwheel

wonderwheel is a glorious beacon of lightwonderwheel is a glorious beacon of lightwonderwheel is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maven View Post
"Somebody here" made a big deal about it, but it just wasn't really (that big of a deal).
with all due respect... i think that somebody was you.
wonderwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:34 PM   #67
Maven

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwheel View Post
with all due respect... i think that somebody was you.
No!!!!! Really?!?! Somebody finally figured out my sarcasm. --->>>which I know is tough to convey via email.

TO get this on-topic, I've heard good things about Scottish Terriers, too.... other than that they can be lazy (which is no big deal... neither of us -- my mom, nor I -- want a dog that requires two hour-long walks a day). It would be best if we had a dog that could be okay with running around in our quarter-acre fenced yard, and taken on about a 30-45 minute walk once a day. I think both Scottish Terrier and Cairn Terriers would fit that criteria, ... from what I've discovered from online research. I also saw a really cute dog at the shelter who was a Cocker/Beagle mix.... but my sister used to have a Beagle and it was the most stubborn dog I have met in my life (nearly untrainable). So, I'm worried about the beagle mix part. And, yeah, I'm still waiting to see whether I get the part time or full time job, too: so I'd be jumping the gun if I got the cocker/beagle mix and then got the full time job (which actually I've decided I don't want now.... prefer to work part-time).
Old 08-07-2009, 02:41 PM   #68
bruit
Yo Fat Chow

what about those little welsh corgies? They are so flippin cute and smart too... plus they are total people dogs.

I love beagles too. But they run away too much.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:49 PM   #69
wonderwheel

wonderwheel is a glorious beacon of lightwonderwheel is a glorious beacon of lightwonderwheel is a glorious beacon of light

wonderwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:00 PM   #70
Maven

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruit View Post
what about those little welsh corgies? They are so flippin cute and smart too... plus they are total people dogs.

I love beagles too. But they run away too much.
I love Welsh Corgis too: adorable, and seem to have really nice temperaments. I have heard a few negative things about them having back troubles when they get older: something to do with the longer backs with the short legs (dachsaunds (sp?) tend to get those kind of back troubles too).

See, I'm being picky, I know. I feel I have to coz I really want just the RIGHT dog: one that is going to be healthy (like, a breed that's not inclined to certain health probs -- I know you can't COUNT on them being healthy all the time), good natured, and a wonderful addition to our family for a good 15-20 years to come (uh, don't know if dogs live to 20, but I do know that cats sometimes do.... my BFF had a Siamese who lived to 21).
Old 08-07-2009, 08:38 PM   #71
thunderoad
Real Gone

You should go to the shelter and do the meet and greets and ask about their history and any known health issues. Mutts can sometimes be surprisingly healthy, I don;t want to say they are healthier than purebreeds... cause I know plenty of nice mutts who are quite unlucky in the health department. Though you have to probably have to acknowledge that you probably won't find a dog that fits into all your criteria, but maybe 5 out 8 will be fairly close...
Old 08-08-2009, 12:24 AM   #72
Maven

Indeed. My criteria list is about about 10 items long and if I hit 7 of those with whomever little special guy/gal we get I will be happy with that. And I do want a situation where I can do a 'trial' for a month: that if it doesn't work out, we can take it back and get at least part of our money back. Many shelters and rescue groups in my area DO do that, so.... it makes it a tad bit less of a risk that way. I think after a month, you know if the dog is going to be a good fit or not. (Although I bet my cats will NOT have decided by then.... lol).

I've heard the rumor about mix-breed immunity: that they tend to have much healthier immune systems than your average purebred. Don't know if that's just an Internet Legend, however.

I love Irish Setters, but most of the ones I've gone to look at have been darn near schizo. They seem to get overbred due to the over-popularity they had at one point. (I'm seeing a LOT of chihauha (sp?) mixes at the shelters right now... not too sure about them).
Old 08-09-2009, 12:20 AM   #73
Maven

Thought you guys would enjoy seeing a photo of my sister's new puppy, a 4 month old Bernese Mountain Dog.

Here's what she just emailed me about him about him (his name is Kuma):

"Last month, he was 16 lbs. Now he weighs 28.8 pounds -- just got him weighed at the vet when he got his third set of shots. His legs are so long that he can stand on his hind legs and put his front paws on the kitchen counters - which we of course highly discourage...lol."

The experts say these dogs range from 100-120 pounds at full adult weight. That's a BIG dog! So far, he seems to have a VERY mellow personality. My niece has just started taking him to obedience training.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:28 AM   #74
thunderoad
Real Gone

cute! what's it mixed with?
Old 08-09-2009, 12:57 AM   #75
Maven

Quote:
cute! what's it mixed with?
Yeah, the rescue group tried to pass it off as a purebred but it's obviously mixed with "something," as all the BMDs Ive seen have way more white. Possible mixed with German Shepherd? What's you're feeling? You seem way more up on dog breeds than I am. But for 4 months, this is a BIG puppy. Look at dem paws, too!
Sponsored Links

Tags
dogs, pets, yoshi rules