TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Ryan Adams > Tour Discussion > Archive > 2012
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Wiki Arcade Photos Mark Forums Read

Walt Disney Concert Hall, Los Angeles, CA (February 17, 2012)

Old 01-30-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
plath

plath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond repute
Walt Disney Concert Hall, Los Angeles, CA (February 17, 2012)

Set list:

Sweet Carolina
Ashes and Fire
If I Am A Stranger
Dirty Rain
Winding Wheel
Sweet Lil Gal
Invisible Riverside
Everybody Knows
Firecracker
Let It Ride
Please Do Not Let Me Go
English Girls
Chains Of Love
Two
Lucky Now
Mr. Cat (Soft As Fuck)
NYNY
Happy As Fuck
Wonderwall
16 Days
Come Pick Me Up
Holy Diver

Last edited by plath; 02-19-2012 at 01:44 PM..
plath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:58 AM   #2
La Cienega
la la la la la

La Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant future
Re: Val Kilmer opened for RA tonight

I got texts from my friend who's there. Someone dressed as Mark Twain did a funny monologue as the opening act for Ryan's show. Afterwards, it was announced that it was Val Kilmer.

Her exact words were: "there is someone dressed as mark twain who sang sweet chariot as he walked out and then proceeded to perform a monologue"

Magnolia Mountain : We'll be an approved fansite in no time, thanks to La's rack!

last.fm

Last edited by La Cienega; 02-18-2012 at 01:05 AM..
La Cienega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

That seems odd, to say the least.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
burgerqueen
yeah, you've got me shakin

burgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, a friend of mine was there & didn't like it so much.
burgerqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
Rob
Administrator

Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute

Cover of Dio's "Holy Diver"

Old 02-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
Rob
Administrator

Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute

Review

Quote:
Ryan Adams is talented at many things, but the one quality that makes him so good at all of these things is his ability to stretch them out beyond the point to which they need to go, but still maintaining a high level of amusement. He does this several times in a night of performing, but overall he’s done it in his career; every album he releases is more or less generally regarded to be worse than the last one (or, at least we can all agree that he has never matched his debut album Heartbreaker), yet he still maintains a strong, adoring fan base and he can still sell out venues around the world. He started this solo tour last summer after “coming out of retirement,” seemingly more out of boredom than anything, and has casually kept it rolling for months on end, consistently selling out venues in North America and Europe, while releasing a record in the midst of it. He played two dates in Los Angeles just last October, but here he is back again playing two more at a much bigger venue. Say what you will about Ryan Adams, but there’s no denying that he can make things last where others would have fallen flat on their faces.

Upon entering the stage Adams had everyone in the palm of his hand immediately, encouraging them to “get sad together” and then enforcing it by kicking off with “Oh My Sweet Carolina.” The song is the perfect opener not only because it sets the tone immediately, but it seems to be relevant to Adams’ career at this point; he doesn’t need to continue what he’s doing, which is probably why he retired in the first place, but he’s still compelled to go. Inside the opening section of songs Adams kept it mostly downbeat, while managing to place Ashes & Fire songs like “Dirty Rain” directly alongside Heartbreaker classics like “My Winding Wheel” without making there appear to be any difference in “classicness,” thanks to the utter earnestness and commitment with which he delivered the songs.
Things changed when Adams explained to the audience about the blazed-as-fuck Prius-driving Star Trek fans on Sunset Boulevard that inspired “Invisible Riverside” (both before and after he performed the song), and put the crowd in hysterics. He followed this up with some more peppy songs – including what might have been the highlight of the night in the rendition of the Cardinals’ “Let It Ride” – showing his ability to nonchalantly switch up the atmosphere in an instant, and then flip it right back again seemingly on a whim, which he did with “Please Do Not Let Me Go.”
His ability to switch from sad songs to slightly-less-sad songs without any kind of jarring was impressive, but even more so was Adams’ capacity to toss the gravity of a song out of the window in order to go goof off instead, which leaves you unsure of what to expect. At the conclusion of “Lucky Now,” Adams set down his guitar and sat at his piano, and collectively the audience prepared for something somber, but instead Adams flew off into a song in which he was singing to his cat (Mr. Cat) about how much he loved him and how much it annoyed him that his other cat kept shitting himself. This joke was hilarious inside 30 seconds, but Adams managed to maintain the laughter for a good couple of minutes as he went deeper into the Mr. Cat psyche. Then, as though that had never happened he wiped the smirk off his face and delved into a tear-jerking rendition of “New York, New York.” And, as if that were not enough, directly after that he then spontaneously reacted to the crowd by performing a goof off “Happy Song” about climbing trees and watching seagulls fly – once again extending the song beyond the point of the crowd’s laughter, but maintaining it throughout.
To conclude the set Adams treated his fans of all kinds. His newer or more casual fans will have enjoyed his version of “Wonderwall,” his hard core fans must have been delighted to hear him bring out the Whiskeytown song “16 Days,” while I’m sure everyone will have been captivated by the set-ending “Come Pick Me Up.” Due to his running over time (probably due to all his babbling between songs – not that anyone minded at all) he only had time for one song in the encore, and that was for himself and his fans that will love him unconditionally for eternity: a cover of Dio’s “Holy Diver.” And ultimately that’s probably why he still does it; because he still enjoys it more than anything, and he knows that there are fans who will love him no matter what he does – and he seems to be gaining more of those fans with every passing performance.
http://beatsperminute.com/live/live-...os-angeles-ca/
Old 02-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
Rob
Administrator

English Girls

Old 02-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #8
Rob
Administrator

Let It Ride

Old 02-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #9
Rob
Administrator

If I Am A Stranger

Old 02-20-2012, 04:03 PM   #10
plath

plath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Review

Ryan Adams is talented at many things, but the one quality that makes him so good at all of these things is his ability to stretch them out beyond the point to which they need to go, but still maintaining a high level of amusement.

http://beatsperminute.com/live/live-...os-angeles-ca/
I hate reviews like that one.... Where they make sweeping statements about RA's entire back catalogue - as if nothing matches up to Heartbreaker (and a lot of songs do): and it's supposed to be representative of how funny and chilled RA is? Lol, such BS.

I am amused at this current marketing of RA as a "comedian" type of guy. The shows I went to last year had a strange atmosphere - Ryan cracking jokes, a lot of lemmings laughing but generally.. kind of uncomfortable-feeling. Laugh or die! Drink and get shouted at! Put your mobile phones away but oh, it's ok actually because Ryan will link to recorded videos on his twitter.

If RA is getting new fans it's because he's gloriously talented and when he shuts up and sings the damn songs, it's pretty hard to beat. There really are no other big rivals for him out there at the minute. It actually kind of irritates me when he says "let's get sad together" because he has about a million songs that are upbeat in nature, he just refuses to change the majority of his set list, even though he's been touring for about a year now, on and off.

Grr. I'm in a bad mood today. Can you tell!
Old 02-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #11
plath

And also, re: "let's get sad together" - some people actually do have shitty lives where they have no money and people treat them like shit. Maybe because Ryan has had a pretty sweet ride of it in the last few years he's forgotten that! /end passive aggression.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #12
Friendly Fire
Walking Around Sense

Friendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by plath View Post
And also, re: "let's get sad together" - some people actually do have shitty lives where they have no money and people treat them like shit. Maybe because Ryan has had a pretty sweet ride of it in the last few years he's forgotten that! /end passive aggression.
maybe the last few years have been pretty sweet for him, but I don't think he needs to be indefinitely angry about the low parts in his life. He said the same thing at the KC show. I personally appreciate someone that can have a sense of humor about their music.

I assume if he were taking himself and his music super seriously right now there'd be room to complain about that as well.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #13
ewok.online
CATHERINE

ewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond repute

i would rather have him make light of the fact that he's a bummer jam machine then try to be all SUPER SRS about it.

like, I love Moz undeniably, but sometimes the guy just makes me lose it uncontrollably with trying to keep up his shtick. CHILL OUT, STEVE.

Faith restored, stay out of the fucking canyon, climb down from the goddamn plateau.
ewok.online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #14
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

Don't mention sad songs because people actually ARE sad!!! omg
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #15
plath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
Don't mention sad songs because people actually ARE sad!!! omg
Lol, shut up Tim. ~I was in a bad mood. grumble grumble.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:02 PM   #16
MoonNose

MoonNose is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Walt Disney Concert Hall, Los Angeles, CA (February 17, 2012)

Val Kilmer, Mark Twain, Disney Hall, Holy Diver = great show. Wish I owned this show poster.
MoonNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
ryan is hollywood now, simmons lulz, val kilmer