TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Music > Album Discussion > 2015 Albums Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Wiki Arcade Photos Mark Forums Read

Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear (Feb 10)

Old 11-04-2014, 01:25 AM   #1
SlowMovinOutlaw

SlowMovinOutlaw has a spectacular aura about
Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear (Feb 10)

Just preordered FJM's new album due out in February. The deluxe vinyl description leaves a lot to the imagination! Guess will have to wait to see. Interesting performance of a new song on Letterman tonight.

http://m.pitchfork.com/news/57304-fa...-on-letterman/
SlowMovinOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:35 AM   #2
yesterday'seyes
Joe

yesterday'seyes is a name known to allyesterday'seyes is a name known to allyesterday'seyes is a name known to allyesterday'seyes is a name known to all
Re: Father John Misty 2015 preorder

YES!!!!!!
Old 11-04-2014, 07:27 AM   #3
future sparrow

future sparrow is on a distinguished road

Pre-ordered. Man do I love this guy. He is amazing. Also, love what sub pop is doing with these "loser editions"
future sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:37 AM   #4
Friendly Fire
Walking Around Sense

Friendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud of

fuck. yes. I love every weird thing this guy does.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:37 AM   #5
Friendly Fire
Walking Around Sense

Friendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud of

Old 11-04-2014, 09:49 AM   #6
Friendly Fire
Walking Around Sense

Quote:
I Love You, Honeybear:

01 I Love You, Honeybear
02 Chateau Lobby #4 (in C for Two Virgins)
03 True Affection
04 The Night Josh Tillman Came To Our Apt.
05 When You’re Smiling and Astride Me
06 Nothing Good Ever Happens At the Goddamn Thirsty Crow
07 Strange Encounter
08 The Ideal Husband
09 Bored In The USA
10 Holy Shit
11 I Went To The Store One Day
Old 11-04-2014, 12:28 PM   #7
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

roshea999 has a spectacular aura about

Happy to see this thread pop up. Fear Fun is one of my favorites. I'm glad he teamed up with Jonathan Wilson again.

Unless some of the song names have changed, there's quite a few live songs he's been playing that appear to not make the cut.

including:
This Atom Bomb And Me

Awful Things:

Malaprops (This song seems to fit the mood of the record, maybe the name has changed?)

Last edited by roshea999; 12-13-2014 at 04:05 AM..
roshea999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:31 PM   #8
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

Josh's take on the new record.

I Love You, Honeybear was recorded all through 2013 to 2014 in Los Angeles with producer Jonathan Wilson, who I also recorded and produced 2012’s Fairly Fun with. There’s a case to be made that it sounds and acts a bit like solo-era John Lennon, Scott Walker, Randy Newman, Harry Nilsson, and Dory Previn, while taking more than a few cues from Woody Allen, Kurt Vonnegut, Alejandro Jodorowsky and Muhammad Ali. It has a decidedly more soulful presence than Fear Fun, due in no small part to the fact that I am truly singing my ass off all over this motherfucker. The album is really characterized by the scope and ambition of the arrangements. Nearly every tune is augmented by something special, be it orchestral strings, a mariachi band, questionable electronic drum solos, ragtime jazz combos, soul singers, or what have you. I’m pretty sure there’s a sitar in there somewhere. Blammo.

I Love You, Honeybear is a concept album about a guy named Josh Tillman who spends quite a bit of time banging his head against walls, cultivating weak ties with strangers and generally avoiding intimacy at all costs. This all serves to fuel a version of himself that his self-loathing narcissism can deal with. We see him engaging in all manner of regrettable behavior.

“In a parking lot somewhere he meets Emma, who inspires in him a vision of a life wherein being truly seen is not synonymous with shame, but possibly true liberation and sublime, unfettered creativity. These ambitions are initially thwarted as jealousy, self-destruction and other charming human character traits emerge. Josh Tillman confesses as much all throughout.

“The album progresses, sometimes chronologically, sometimes not, between two polarities: the first of which is the belief that the best love can be is finding someone who is miserable in the same way you are and the end point being that love isn’t for anyone who isn’t interested in finding a companion to undertake total transformation with. I won’t give away the ending, but sex, violence, profanity and excavations of the male psyche abound.

“My ambition, aside from making an indulgent, soulful, and epic sound worthy of the subject matter, was to address the sensuality of fear, the terrifying force of love, the unutterable pleasures of true intimacy, and the destruction of emotional and intellectual prisons in my own voice. Blammo.

“This material demanded a new way of being made, and it took a lot of time before the process revealed itself. The massive, deranged shmaltz I heard in my head, and knew had to be the sound of this record, originated a few years ago while Emma and I were hallucinating in Joshua Tree; the same week I wrote the title track. I chased that sound for the entire year and half we were recording. The means by which it was achieved bore a striking resemblance to the travails, abandon and transformation of learning how to love and be loved; see and be seen. There: I said it. Blammo.”

A few other notes:
His tour will feature a 7-piece band, however I think the only holdover from the Fear Fun tours is Chris "Dixie" Darley. Looks like no Jeffertitti anymore. I think his act will be toned down a bit.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:31 PM   #9
Wayfaringmind
Sketchy

Wayfaringmind is a splendid one to beholdWayfaringmind is a splendid one to beholdWayfaringmind is a splendid one to beholdWayfaringmind is a splendid one to beholdWayfaringmind is a splendid one to beholdWayfaringmind is a splendid one to beholdWayfaringmind is a splendid one to behold

So pumped for another FJM album. Anyone think the laugh track on his Letterman performance is a bit much? Its just weird. But the song sounds good - I need a few more listens - it was way slower than I was anticipating.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:40 PM   #10
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

The canned laugh track is on the studio cut, too....however much lower in the mix.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:27 PM   #11
SlowMovinOutlaw

SlowMovinOutlaw has a spectacular aura about

Preorders come with 8 demo tracks on cassette while supplies last, sweet
SlowMovinOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:01 PM   #12
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

" Save me white Jesus" Love the song and can't wait for the album.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:56 PM   #13
Wayfaringmind
Sketchy

Wayfaringmind is a splendid one to beholdWayfaringmind is a splendid one to beholdWayfaringmind is a splendid one to beholdWayfaringmind is a splendid one to beholdWayfaringmind is a splendid one to beholdWayfaringmind is a splendid one to beholdWayfaringmind is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
The canned laugh track is on the studio cut, too....however much lower in the mix.
I did not realize it was part of the song - I thought it was just for Letterman. Still - I wasn't a fan of that part. But looking forward to hearing more.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:58 PM   #14
J_Bizness

J_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to behold

I thought the first album was alright. He totally looks like Zach Galifinakanis
J_Bizness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:52 PM   #15
La Cienega
la la la la la

La Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant future

Definitely pre-ordering... can't decide if the fancy-colored vinyl and gatefold is worth double the price though. Hmmm.

Magnolia Mountain : We'll be an approved fansite in no time, thanks to La's rack!

last.fm
La Cienega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:46 PM   #16
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Cienega View Post
Definitely pre-ordering... can't decide if the fancy-colored vinyl and gatefold is worth double the price though. Hmmm.
I went for it. I got the t-shirt with it too and the whole thing was like 50? Not bad for 2 LPs, a digital download, a t-shirt and hopefully that 8-song cassette.

FJM is a top-5 artist for me, though, so maybe I'm just a sucker.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:56 AM   #17
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

A few months ago, I had an idea for a music video. I was going to rent a wedding chapel, get a dozen kittens and stage a kitten wedding, over which I would preside and intercut with performance footage of me lip-syncing the song which you’re hearing today, “Chateau Lobby #4 (in C for Two Virgins).”
Sounds great, right? It may have even gone viral because kittens. If a video goes viral, that means you’re reaching a wider audience, and you might even get on a chart. If you get on a chart that means you’re streaming more records, and the more records you’re streaming the more money you supposedly have for hiring kitten wranglers.

Aside from the fact that kitten wranglers are considerably more expensive than you may realize and that said-kitten wranglers all informed me there was no way we were going to be able get the outfits I had mocked up onto said-kittens, there was another extenuating factor involved in the decision to abort this music video concept and ruin the slim likelihood that I might ever get to see the Huffington Post entertainment headline ‘EX-FLEET FOXES DRUMMER WEDS CATS.’

That reason is that the song actually means a great a deal to me.

It’s got the #4 on it because this iteration Chateau Lobby was the 4th attempt at arranging and producing the song that did not turn out perversely sentimental. Sentimentality brutalizes emotion. Much like ironic music videos.

I don’t care all that much if you like the music video or not. The label isn’t crazy about it. Management isn’t crazy about it. I have been informed I’m basically kissing an MTV “Woodie” award goodbye forever. I made it on an iPad on my wedding anniversary with the one I love. We ate pancakes.

I love you,

Josh

Last edited by roshea999; 12-13-2014 at 04:04 AM..
Old 12-08-2014, 05:27 PM   #18
La Cienega
la la la la la

La Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant future

Bit the bullet and finally ordered the deluxe package. I really don't need more posters (would prefer a bundle with a t-shirt rather than poster) but if it's the screen print you can preorder separately on the website at least it's pretty cool looking.

Spoiler:

Magnolia Mountain : We'll be an approved fansite in no time, thanks to La's rack!

last.fm
Old 12-12-2014, 12:13 AM   #19
Potion09

Potion09 has a spectacular aura aboutPotion09 has a spectacular aura about

Huge on Misty, and the plus is the my wife likes him (probably including his looks) as much as me.

Chateau Lobby #4 and what he wrote about it is interesting to me because whenever he played it during his solo tour it was much slower and I think titled Chateau Lobby #9. It was also probably one of the most beautiful and real love songs I've ever heard. It seems extremely personal overall, so I think it's kind of cool that he took the slow song element out of it to prevent it from becoming a slow dance tune.

Like everyone else, I preordered the album immediately when I heard it was up and I'm very impatiently waiting. I've recently moved back to Pittsburgh, but my wife and I will be catching him at the 9:30 Club in March.
Potion09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 12:29 AM   #20
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

Yeah, I'm really surprised by the final production on this tune. What's neat for me this time around is we have skeletons of some of these songs, and now we'll get to see how he and jonathan decided to record them. Unlike Fear Fun, where I had the final record before I heard the stripped down versions.

Also the changed lyric from taking ecstasy to the satanic christmas eve stood out to me.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:47 AM   #21
La Cienega
la la la la la

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potion09 View Post
It was also probably one of the most beautiful and real love songs I've ever heard.
I wouldn't have even recognized this song as the one I heard on the solo tour if not for this post. I get what he is saying about not wanting to make it too sentimental but it's a fucking love song! As someone who adores the most sentimental and heart-stabbing songs, I have to say I liked the version I heard of this live so much better. I'd like this version just fine if it was the first I heard but I remember this song really sticking with me after the show. I didn't know before that he was married but came home and googled "Josh Tillman Emma" because I was trying to find that song, and that's how I found out about his wife (and quickly ran across various nude self portraits as she seems to have plenty out there!).

last.fm
Old 12-12-2014, 02:50 AM   #22
La Cienega
la la la la la

Le sigh.

last.fm
Old 12-12-2014, 11:10 PM   #23
Potion09

Potion09 has a spectacular aura aboutPotion09 has a spectacular aura about

The lyric change stood out to me as well.

And yes, it's sort of a shame that the song changed because it was killer as a slower love song. At least we got to hear it live. And the recording of it from his Philly show is pretty great quality. I can't tell you how many times I've listened to it.

Also, I'm really looking forward to the song that was thought to be titled "awful things" from the solo tour. I think it may be "The Ideal Husband" from the new album based on that being a line in the solo version of the song.

But who am I kidding, I'm pumped for the whole thing. Can't get enough of Tillman and his awesomeness. I barely understand half of what he says/writes, yet I feel like I understand where he's coming from completely. Makes no sense, but I love it.
Potion09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 02:30 AM   #24
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

My guess is that the Malaprops song might be the track, "true affection?"

Just a guess, but I really hope this song made the cut.

Also, what's the easiest way to embed youtube? Tried the one trick I thought would work.

Last edited by roshea999; 12-13-2014 at 04:04 AM.. Reason: can't spell, can't embed, fail fail
Old 12-13-2014, 03:40 AM   #25
La Cienega
la la la la la

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
My guess is that the Malaprops song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc_eeBcvogk might be the track, "true affection?" Just a guess, but I really hope this song made the cut.

Also, what's the easiest way to imbed youtube? Tried the one trick I thought would work.
http://www.tobeyoung.org/showthread.php?t=30283

the youtube ID is after the = so on yours it would be Nc_eeBcvogk

See

last.fm
Sponsored Links

Tags
best new music, father john misty, josh tillman