TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Ryan Adams > Ryan Adams Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Wiki Arcade Photos Mark Forums Read

***16/11/07 Hammersmith Apollo, London**

Old 11-16-2007, 03:00 PM   #1
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute
***16/11/07 Hammersmith Apollo, London**

Several TBYers in attendance tonight. Here's hoping for a good show for them.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:34 PM   #2
Paul Vick
AOTY?

Paul Vick is a jewel in the roughPaul Vick is a jewel in the rough
Re: ***16/11/07 Hammersmith Apollo, London**

No Setlist...no exact anything... but so you all know, its was fucking amazing. Basically, show of the tour.

From RAA:

On 8:25

Peaceful Valley ->
Beautiful Sorta
Rescue Blues [AMAZING]
Stars Go Blue
Off Broadway
Goodnight Rose
Nightbirds
Sun Also Sets
Let It Ride
Freeway To The Canyon (Neal Casal)
Please Do Not Let Me Go
Bartering Lines
Mockingbird
Wild Flowers ->
Cold Roses
Why Do They Leave
Everybody Knows
Goodnight Hollywood Blvd.
Two
You Don't See Me Crying (Neal Casal)
Halloweenhead
Graboff Joke/Happy Birthday Spacewolf
Rip Off
A Kiss Before I Go
Shakedown on 9th St -> [MINDBLOWING] ->
I See Monsters

Encore:
Dear John
Blue Hotel
I Taught Myself How To Grow Old
Easy Plateau

Off 11:00 (curfew)

Last edited by Sydneyfan; 11-19-2007 at 12:48 PM..
Paul Vick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:11 PM   #3
Starlite
Yay.

Starlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud of

That's a pretty long setlist compared to other UK shows
Starlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:12 PM   #4
Starlite
Yay.

Starlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud of

More like Happy birth-month to Spacewolf
Old 11-16-2007, 08:24 PM   #5
Paul Vick
AOTY?

Oh, and I have to say, bar the group of twats in the row in front of me, the London crowd was INCREDIBLE. Very respectful and pretty much perfect. The odd WHOOP here and there but rarely at the wrong moments.

And the joke/birthday segment was pretty damn funny.

Oh, before Rip Off, there was a Fake Meltdown where Ryan hit the piano and the rest of the band repeated "oh no, meltdown"... before Ryan hit the keys and said, "ok, lets go" and started the tune. Great moment.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:31 PM   #6
Mulder

Mulder is on a distinguished road

Killer show, Halloweenhead was in there somewhere too.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:35 PM   #7
Paul Vick
AOTY?

Yeah, im not sure where, but it was played,.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:43 PM   #8
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds great, thanks for the reviews.

another viewpoint from yourkingpin:

Quote:
Great music, I liked the venue for the sound quality...extremely good clarity in the vocals which were awesome. And he played a great satisfying long set. 2.5 hours didnt feel long at all.

Only thing that annoyed me was him doing that rant thing he does about how 'its been wonderful to be here playing to such a wonderful group of people with such good vibes' in a smarmy sarcastic voice. It just goes on for too long and makes me depressed.

Band great. Hat very strange. Set was very crowd friendly compared to prev. shows. Thoughtfully paced, varied, great arrangements. The band are clearly the best they've been. Treating the entire audience in a smarmy sarcastic way is not really that condusive to an evening of 'good vibes' however. Is it gonna get him anywhere?Is it gonna achieve more attentive less idiotic audiences? I somehow doubt it...
If he was being sarcastic, that sounds very much like what he did at the first Sydney gig.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:48 PM   #9
Paul Vick
AOTY?

To me, it was a more "thanks to those who paid attention and cared and fuck off those who drank themselves silly and screamed 'TO BE YOUNG' all night", which I think is fair enough. He seemes sincere to me. Especially as you could see all night he was loving it.

Stop over-analysing it. If he hated it that much, we wouldnt have got such a great set.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:04 PM   #10
Sydneyfan

Some photos from mjs.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/booksna...7603210127038/
Old 11-16-2007, 09:16 PM   #11
Starlite
Yay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
Thanks for the link

The tea-cosy hat!

Old 11-16-2007, 09:17 PM   #12
Sydneyfan

It's quite something, isn't it
Old 11-16-2007, 09:21 PM   #13
Starlite
Yay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
It's quite something, isn't it
Not exactly rock & roll, but rather cute. Nice pom-pom
Old 11-17-2007, 02:41 AM   #14
Jimmy James
Jimmy James

Jimmy James will become famous soon enough

I thought Ryan and the Cardinals were excellent last night. A very professional and polished performance. Ryan's vocals were better than they have ever been, and the way the songs were played were breathtaking. The set was so much better than the Camden gig i went to last time round which was only just over an hour which i thought was a bit of a joke TBH when you think about the amount of material Ryan has.

Last night was probably 2.5 hours, which flew past, and i feel i got my money's worth last night. Great performance by all including the majority of the fans.

The only thing that bothered me was during "Goodnight Hollywood Blvd", Ryan slightly changed his lyrics from "close your mouth" to "SUT YOUR MOUTH" and he really emphasised the the "Shut your mouth", as if to say to the audience to just shut up and listen to the music.

I can understand Ryan getting a bit annoyed with the stupid hecklers, but when he gets like that, it just creates an atmosphere and as an audience, you don't really feel "wanted" or appreciated. Also when some people heckled, he did this stupid noise as if he was mimicking their murmers.This creates a negative "vibe" as he bangs on about. He should just ignore it and get on with it, if it really bothers him.

I'm not condoning stupid negative heckling, like the person i heard shout "take some drugs and drink some alcohol", which is just mindless and direspectful, but its as if Ryan will not tolerate any banter anymore, which i think is a shame. He seems far too sensitive nowadays, but saying that, I still enjoyed the performance and I was glad to see Neal Casal get a good reception to his two songs which i thought were outstanding.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:33 AM   #15
Quincy
1up

Quincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud of

Best show I have ever seen him play in London.

Sorry?
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 05:45 AM   #16
Paul Vick
AOTY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
Best show I have ever seen him play in London.
I have only seen them a few times [BBC4, Borerline and KOKO] so my opinion may not be as knowledgable than yours, but I agree.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:17 AM   #17
Quincy
1up

Quincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud of

It just didn't have the usually feeling of a London show, the ill-feelings etc. The crowd was good and that definitely helped it along, and Ryan was in a good mood.

Sorry?
Old 11-17-2007, 06:41 AM   #18
Izzy Eviel
I know

Izzy Eviel is just really niceIzzy Eviel is just really nice

Great gig!! Played alot of my favourite songs and quite a few I didnt expect him to play. Anyone got and videos/pictures?

Shame alot of people have such small bladders. There was alot of people getting up and going to the toilets. I was right at the back circle standing and because its a old theatre 95% of which is seating everytime someone wanted to go to the toilet the entire row would have to stand up to let them out. Bit hard to concentrate when you have people doing mexican waves every 5 minutes.
Yes, you're older now and you're a clever swine
But they were the only ones who ever stood by you
Izzy Eviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 06:57 AM   #19
ewok.online
CATHERINE

ewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlite View Post
The tea-cosy hat!
I could never picture what it looked like in my head, but now that I've seen it...

I have about 20 of those.
ewok.online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 08:01 AM   #20
koko

koko is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this may not be a popular stance but not permitting drinks inside the concert seems to help Both Manchester and London were plagued by the constant up and down to the bar and loos. There also doesn't appear to be much consideration for timing exits to song breaks which one might think of as common concert courtesy

As both Manchester and London Apollos are sponsored by Carling Brewery it is perhaps too much to ask
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 08:09 AM   #21
Jimmy James
Jimmy James

I thought that was also a factor, i was sitting in the circle area and i came close to throwing my drink at a group of people who were aimlessly looking for their seats, 45 minutes into the gig and they then decided to stop looking and just stood in front of us and started watching the gig. I was SO bloody angry, and people were just getting up every 5 minutes!!! What is that all about? If thy are so bloody desperate to drink during a gig, they should listen to Ryan at home and get balddered to their hearts' content and not bother real Ryan Adams fans like me!!!
Old 11-17-2007, 08:14 AM   #22
Jimmy James
Jimmy James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Vick View Post
I have only seen them a few times [BBC4, Borerline and KOKO] so my opinion may not be as knowledgable than yours, but I agree.

That Borderline gig was fantastic, the Bush Hall one that week was also amazing. Gotta say that my favourite Ryan Adams gig was when he played Shepherds Bush during the "Rock n Roll" tour and he could sense people were not getting into the Rock n Roll stuff, so he said, "your not going home until i know you've had a fucking good time" and he raided his back catalogue and was on stage for over 2.5 hours doing loads of acoustic stuff and ending with a loud emotional version of So Alive. Excellent gig, and my favourite to date.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:30 AM   #23
Paul Vick
AOTY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
That Borderline gig was fantastic, the Bush Hall one that week was also amazing. Gotta say that my favourite Ryan Adams gig was when he played Shepherds Bush during the "Rock n Roll" tour and he could sense people were not getting into the Rock n Roll stuff, so he said, "your not going home until i know you've had a fucking good time" and he raided his back catalogue and was on stage for over 2.5 hours doing loads of acoustic stuff and ending with a loud emotional version of So Alive. Excellent gig, and my favourite to date.
Do you mean the Kentish Town Forum gig? Just tryin to find the setlist and this sounds like what you're talkin about.

Spoiler:

Set 1:
Shadowlands
This House Is Not For Sale
She's Lost Total Control
Note To Self: Don't Die
Boys
Wish You Were Here
Shallow
Firecracker
Luminol
Love Is Hell
Do Miss America (barbershop style)
Shallow (barbershop style)
This Is It

Set 2:
Call Me On Your Way Back Home
Jacksonville Skyline
Oh My Sweet Carolina
My Winding Wheel
New York, New York
Lovesick Blues
Last Nite
To Be Young (Is To Be Sad, Is To Be High)
Anybody Wanna Take Me Home? [cookie monster]
Anybody Wanna Take Me Home?
Head Over Heels (Ryan on drums)
Burning Photographs
So Alive
Old 11-17-2007, 11:05 AM   #24
Jimmy James
Jimmy James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Vick View Post
Do you mean the Kentish Town Forum gig? Just tryin to find the setlist and this sounds like what you're talkin about.

Spoiler:

Set 1:
Shadowlands
This House Is Not For Sale
She's Lost Total Control
Note To Self: Don't Die
Boys
Wish You Were Here
Shallow
Firecracker
Luminol
Love Is Hell
Do Miss America (barbershop style)
Shallow (barbershop style)
This Is It

Set 2:
Call Me On Your Way Back Home
Jacksonville Skyline
Oh My Sweet Carolina
My Winding Wheel
New York, New York
Lovesick Blues
Last Nite
To Be Young (Is To Be Sad, Is To Be High)
Anybody Wanna Take Me Home? [cookie monster]
Anybody Wanna Take Me Home?
Head Over Heels (Ryan on drums)
Burning Photographs
So Alive

Yeah actually you are right. Thats the one. Great gig.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:15 PM   #25
Quincy
1up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewok.online View Post
I could never picture what it looked like in my head, but now that I've seen it...

I have about 20 of those.
When he's playing piano with that on, I just get images of Elton John

Sorry?
Sponsored Links