TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Podcasts

Old 06-19-2017, 09:16 AM   #51
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all
Re: Podcasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossedOutName View Post
Been a huge fan of the 'I Am Rapaport' podcast for a few years now. Get on it if you haven't already.
love that dude [despite his abuse of lili taylor]

that first episode is a doozy - its easy to tell hes not working with any sort of outline and just totally rambling - but its so funny and totally fits his personality

i think its kind of awesome that hes such a huge fan of those real housewives shows - i think he dressed up as one for halloween
sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:11 AM   #52
gweeps
=

gweeps is a jewel in the roughgweeps is a jewel in the rough

Been listening to a few of Marc Maron's WTF podcasts lately. Good stuff. Chris Cornell, Roger Waters, Patrice O'Neal and John Prine. I also recommend the one with Robin Williams.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:16 AM   #53
andyo812

andyo812 is a glorious beacon of lightandyo812 is a glorious beacon of lightandyo812 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
Been listening to a few of Marc Maron's WTF podcasts lately. Good stuff. Chris Cornell, Roger Waters, Patrice O'Neal and John Prine. I also recommend the one with Robin Williams.
Do you pay for those via Earwolf or whatever? Thats the reason I never explored the back catalog as much.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
andyo812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:22 PM   #54
gweeps
=

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyo812 View Post
Do you pay for those via Earwolf or whatever? Thats the reason I never explored the back catalog as much.

Youtube.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:20 AM   #55
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
agreed on all those...

the obama, springsteen and ryan adams one are solid too
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:40 PM   #56
andyo812

andyo812 is a glorious beacon of lightandyo812 is a glorious beacon of lightandyo812 is a glorious beacon of light

Isbell was on as well i believe.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:05 PM   #57
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all

been listening to off camera with sam jones

really enjoyed the interviews with adam scott and michael shannon

the one with matt damon was good too

Old 06-23-2017, 09:19 AM   #58
thebalvenie

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

Reply All is so far so good!
Old 06-29-2017, 11:39 AM   #59
sleigher

vulture has compiled a list of the best podcasts so far this yr

74 Seconds
The Bill Simmons Podcast: The Kevin Durant Interviews (Parts One, Two, And Three)
The Daily
First Day Back
The Heart: “No” Series
Missing Richard Simmons
Mogul: The Life And Death Of Chris Lighty
S-Town

Honorable Mentions
----------------------
Scene On Radio
Why Oh Why
Death, Sex, And Money
This American Life
Food 4 Thot
Pod Save America
Chapo Trap House
Making Oprah

http://www.vulture.com/2017/06/best-...17-so-far.html
Old 07-08-2017, 10:05 AM   #60
FavoriteEver

FavoriteEver is a jewel in the roughFavoriteEver is a jewel in the rough

I just don't really agree that S-Town should be on that list. I felt like there was no real resolution to me and the main reason I kept listening was to see if anything really interesting ever happened. But just recounting a weird guy's life doesn't seem interesting enough to make that list.
FavoriteEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:07 AM   #61
andyo812

Forward by Lance Armstrong is pretty ok. He gets a lot of good musicians.

Old 07-27-2017, 06:11 PM   #62
sleigher

anyone able to recommend ear hustle?
Old 07-27-2017, 11:10 PM   #63
gweeps
=

Marc Maron's WTF interview with Garry Shandling is awesomely eye opening. It is quite a philosophical conversation.
Old 09-04-2017, 04:34 PM   #64
andyo812

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleigher View Post
anyone able to recommend ear hustle?

I enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2017, 04:36 PM   #65
andyo812

I'm late to the party but You Made It Weird with Pete Holmes is really good

Old 09-05-2017, 09:26 PM   #66
FavoriteEver

I just gave Sword and Scale another shot and am really into it. Sometimes it's creepy as hell. I like it better than Last Podcast on the Left, but not as much as My Favorite Murder. The Black Tapes is also a good fiction one I got into. The final season just started last week so I'm excited for it.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:36 AM   #67
thebalvenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FavoriteEver View Post
I just gave Sword and Scale another shot and am really into it. Sometimes it's creepy as hell. I like it better than Last Podcast on the Left, but not as much as My Favorite Murder. The Black Tapes is also a good fiction one I got into. The final season just started last week so I'm excited for it.
sword and scale is really well done...but it can cross the fuckin lines of sensationalism and gore glore

"reply all" is a great one for anyone who likes tech nerds and the like
Old 09-07-2017, 10:45 AM   #68
andyo812

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalvenie View Post
sword and scale is really well done...but it can cross the fuckin lines of sensationalism and gore glore

"reply all" is a great one for anyone who likes tech nerds and the like

I agree on sword and scale. Reply all is good too. It might have been said but Reveal is really good, kind of the Vice of podcasts.

The new Serial can't come soon enough.

Old 09-07-2017, 04:01 PM   #69
thebalvenie

Quote:
I agree on sword and scale. Reply all is good too. It might have been said but Reveal is really good, kind of the Vice of podcasts.

The new Serial can't come soon enough.

i love reveal.

balanced and fair
Old 09-07-2017, 07:01 PM   #70
FavoriteEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalvenie View Post
I agree with this. Some of the things they play in the episodes have me like . Especially certain 911 calls. But overall I do like the podcast.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:59 PM   #71
sleigher

Quote:
I'm late to the party but You Made It Weird with Pete Holmes is really good
his conversation with david bazan is a personal favorite
Old 09-17-2017, 06:44 PM   #72
andyo812

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleigher View Post
his conversation with david bazan is a personal favorite

Downloaded, thanks bud

Old 09-21-2017, 03:47 PM   #73
sleigher

a friend pointed me in the direction of bill simmons the rewatchables

basically that dude and some of his friends review modern sports/'classic' films and talk about how great they are and why they hold up to so many viewings - heres the movies theyve talked about so far:

any given sunday
blue chips
white men cant jump
moneyball
jerry maguire
heat
a few good men
the departed
point break
the silence of the lambs
speed
Old 09-28-2017, 10:42 AM   #74
sleigher

11 Great Podcasts to Check Out This Fall

Tumanbay, BBC and Panoply (Released September 12)
Unlike Americans, the Brits never stopped making audio dramas. First debuted by BBC’s Radio Four in 2015, Tumanbay is an Egyptian epic with all the trappings of the genre — rebellions, assassinations, palace intrigue, and sordid treatments of the human body. The show’s first season drew evocations of HBO’s Game of Thrones (though I suppose you could do the same for any project with horses, swords, and murder). Panoply, which hired Tumanbay director John Dryden as head of scripted programming in March, is bringing the audio drama Stateside, where its first and recently concluded second seasons will be easily accessible to American audiences.

The Truth: Possible Side Effects, Radiotopia (Released September 13)
Led by radio veteran Jonathan Mitchell, The Truth has long served as Radiotopia’s vessel for experiments that seek to reimagine, reinvent, and revolutionize audio fiction. It’s a fantastic collaborative enterprise, one that pulls talent from a broad spectrum of creative communities to yield interesting and surprising experiences. The podcast’s latest season, titled Possible Side Effects, features a script from one Casper Kelly, who is perhaps most famous for concocting the viral wonder/nightmare Too Many Cooks.

Stay Tuned With Preet, WNYC Studios (Released September 20)
What do you do after being dubiously dismissed by the president of the United States? Among other things, you start a podcast. That’s the move, anyway, for Preet Bharara, the former United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, who was fired in March by President Trump after refusing to abide by the administration’s order to resign. Stay Tuned With Preet focuses on “issues of justice and fairness” and provides “commentary on our judicial, political and cultural systems,” which is to say, it’s yet another podcast that adds to the medium’s growing stable of progressive political media. (A Bharara–Crooked Media crossover isn’t too far away probably.) The podcast is being presented in partnership with CAFÉ, the media company of which Bharara is a part.

It Makes A Sound, Night Vale Presents (Released September 24)
Written, co-directed, and performed by New York–based Jacquelyn Landgraf, Night Vale Presents’ newest audio drama follows a woman’s quest to restore a place by reviving the music of someone called Wim Faros. The trailer suggests a show that neatly falls from the conventions of Night Vale Presents’ oeuvre: a fascination with art and performance, a structure built around a show within a show, and a delicate balance between strangeness, sweetness, and sadness.

I Only Listen To The Mountain Goats, Night Vale Presents (September 28)
While we’re on the subject of Night Vale Presents, the indie podcast label’s collaboration with the Mountain Goats — which will explore the band’s sixth album, All Hail West Texas — finally drops in late September. Less a music documentary and more of a companion guide, each episode will unpack a different song on the record, and feature conversations between Mountain Goats lead singer John Darnielle and Night Vale co-creator Joseph Fink about songwriting, storytelling, and current events. Plus, we’ll get cover versions of each song, performed by a range of artists including Dessa, Andrew Bird, and Amanda Palmer.

More Perfect, Radiolab (October 2)
It’s been well over a year since Radiolab’s spinoff podcast about the Supreme Court, More Perfect, wrapped its first season. For those asking where Jad Abumrad and his merry band of producers have gone, wonder no longer — the podcast finally returns in early October! With its fierce focus on past and present Supreme Court cases, More Perfect couldn’t be more resonant in these wild times where the question of what is constitutional — and what is not — seems to be raised every single day.

Uncivil, Gimlet Media (October 4)
Gimlet Media’s latest project is an ambitious effort to dig deep into a major crisis in American history. Uncivil is a podcast that seeks to challenge the official history of the Civil War and unearth stories that are often left out of the narrative — stories of resistance, covert operations, corruption, and more. The show is hosted by Jack Hitt, an award-winning journalist, and Chenjerai Kumanyika, an author and professor who recently collaborated with John Biewen on the very good “Seeing White” series for the latter’s podcast, Scene on Radio. If you’re a history buff, you won’t want to miss this one.

Embedded, NPR (October 5)
All Things Considered co-host Kelly McEvers and her investigative team return this fall to train their focus on the biggest story in the world: the Trump administration. This five-part season will eschew the daily news cycles of the presidency in favor of focusing on what President Trump and his closest advisers — both the ones who are still around, and the ones who’ve left — were up to in the years before moving into the White House. We might well be saturated in a presidency that demands attention with every waking moment, but McEvers & Co. have solid track records in digging deep, slowing things down, and taking the long view. Will they add anything new to the narrative? We’ll find out.

Heavyweight, Gimlet (October 26)
Jonathan Goldstein’s often funny, often very sad, and consistently excellent show returns for a second season with Gimlet Media in late October. If you listened to season one, you’ll know what to expect for this new round of episodes: Part memoir and part reality show that administers therapy to others, Heavyweight is set to deliver more emotional grappling with themes of regret, memory, and curiosity about the many ways that a person’s life might have gone.

Atlanta Monster, HowStuffWorks and Tenderfoot TV (TBD)
Payne Lindsay, the Atlanta-based filmmaker who gained considerable popularity with his true-crime podcast Up and Vanished, looks to build on his grisly momentum through a new partnership with podcast veterans HowStuffWorks. Atlanta Monster will reexamine the almost four-decade-old mystery of the Atlanta child murders, which took the lives of at least 28 young victims over a two-year period, most of whom were male and all of whom were African-American. According to the corresponding press release, Lindsay will be reinterviewing witnesses and the victims’ families, so expect conversations about the ethics of such performative investigations on the horizon.

Heaven’s Gate, Stitcher and Pineapple Street Media (TBD)
The creative team behind Missing Richard Simmons has finally announced their next audio documentary. Heaven’s Gate is set to be a ten-part documentary that will examine the titular cult notorious for initiating the largest mass suicide on American soil two decades ago. It will be hosted by Snap Judgment’s Glynn Washington, who brings a unique personal perspective to the project: Washington grew up in what was formerly called the Worldwide Church of God, which some consider to be a cult. With a broader look at an era’s shift away from traditional religions and the consequences of unfulfilled prophecies two decades on, Heaven’s Gate looks to be an ambitious story with philosophical ramifications that will cast large shadows over the present.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/09/11-gr...fall-2017.html
Old 09-28-2017, 11:41 AM   #75
andyo812

Heavyweight Season 1 was good, looking forward to Season 2.

The Up and Vanished thing sounds cool, but I wish he would’ve done another unsolved, lesser known cold case.

Sponsored Links