TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Documentary Recommendations

Old 01-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #26
Friendly Fire
Walking Around Sense

Friendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud of
Re: Documentary Recommendations

I loved that 30 for 30.

I also recently watched Deep Water - a documentary about the first solo, non-stop boat race around the world. Super fascinating.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #27
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

I really enjoyed "Bobby Fischer Against The World" - particularly the way it explores the thin line between genius and madness. Fischer was quite a piece of work.

Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:41 PM   #28
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Did anyone else here see Searching for Sugarman? It's just been nominated in the documentary category at the Oscars.

An incredible story and one of the best music docs I've ever seen.
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #29
robotulism
lamest gamer

robotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant future

I think there must be another thread about documentaries, or maybe we just talk about them in the movie recommendations thread. I watch documentaries constantly, like it's going out of style.
Recently I watched Monica and David, a movie about a young down syndrome couple that gets married and tries to live life on their own. It was a very moving and interesting documentary, but Monica's parents have a lot of money, and give them their own wing of a large apartment. This way they are independent, but the parents are still right there. It made me wish I could see what happens to the average down syndrome adult, and where they go with their lives when they don't have parents that can support them in that way. I still recommend it.

I also have been watching quite a few of these hour long National Geographic and Frontline documentaries, such as The Medicated Child (about how many children are put on drugs, how the drugs are usually not tested in children, many of them are found to be ineffective on children, and how many children these days are diagnosed as bipolar.) Another interesting and sad one was Dancing Boys of Afghanistan (boys forced to dance, and most are prostitutes, after their poor families sell them to wealthy older men.) And China's Lost Girls (Not as good as the others, but enlightening, about how American families are adopting many of the little girls out of China, because so many are put up for adoption or abandoned because of the one child rule.)

One I really enjoyed that I think you guys would, too, coming from a fan forum, is called I Think We're Alone Now about these super-fans of Tiffany, the pop star from the eighties. Both the people they feature have mental issues. I was kind of hoping to see one with that disorder that we assume Carl had, where they think they're being communicated with. But it is still interesting. One fan was arrested as a stalker and had a restraining order, but now they seem cool, I guess. Anyway, I found it entertaining and interesting. Although they never interviewed Tiffany, I found that odd. Whatever.

Last but not least, I saw a very moving documentary called After Innocence about people who have been exonerated because of DNA testing. It's crazy how many prosecutors still try to keep these men in prison, even though it's been proven they did not commit the crimes! And when many get out, there are no programs to help them as there are for people who are released on parole. Not even all of them get restitution. One man still had the convictions on his record even though he was proven innocent! It was very good.
robotulism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #30
Friendly Fire
Walking Around Sense

Friendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud of

I watched The Imposter last night. Very intense.
Quote:
The Imposter is a 2012 British documentary film about the 1997 case of the French confidence man Frédéric Bourdin, who impersonated Nicholas Barclay, a Texas boy who disappeared at the age of 13 in 1994.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:08 PM   #31
GILMORE104
Moo

GILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud of

I read about that case recently. I might have to check out the documentary. Thanks FF
Old 05-30-2013, 04:33 PM   #32
ewok.online
CATHERINE

ewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond repute

Been meaning to watch A Band Called Death, about a band who played what is pretty much punk rock before punk rock was a thing. 1973 Detroit, three brothers who had played funk and soul, and came up with this whole new thing. But never went anywhere.

Totally interesting.

Faith restored, stay out of the fucking canyon, climb down from the goddamn plateau.
ewok.online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #33
gweeps
=

gweeps is a jewel in the roughgweeps is a jewel in the rough

Here's a few:

The Fog of War: Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0317910/reference
At the Death House Door http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0929235/reference
The Bridge http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0799954/reference
Why We Fight http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0436971/reference
Collapse http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1503769/reference
Sick: The Life & Death of Bob Flanagan, Supermasochist http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120126/reference
The Invisible War http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2120152/reference
Deliver Us from Evil http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0814075/reference
Boy Interrupted http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1327819/
Shake Hands with the Devil: The Journey of Roméo Dallaire http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0424435/reference (I met him back in 2001.)
Forgiving Dr. Mengele http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0489707/reference
Sound City http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2306745/reference
Titicut Follies http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062374/reference

Last edited by gweeps; 06-01-2013 at 06:59 PM..
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #34
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

I can second the recommendation gweeps made for The Bridge. It's beautifully done, and some of the stories stay with you for a long while afterwards.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #35
robotulism
lamest gamer

robotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
You know, I didn't really like this documentary too much. I felt that it started to drag pretty badly, but I did watch the whole thing. The whole twin thing was pretty interesting, but the issue of her 'forgiving' the doctor, and others being mad at her for supposedly speaking for everyone when she shouldn't really didn't need that much explanation, you know? Maybe it's just me. Rarely am I disappointed in documentaries.

Anyway, thanks for the list. I'll be looking many of those up for sure.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #36
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewok.online View Post
Been meaning to watch A Band Called Death, about a band who played what is pretty much punk rock before punk rock was a thing. 1973 Detroit, three brothers who had played funk and soul, and came up with this whole new thing. But never went anywhere.

Totally interesting.
Was Death the name of the band? I'm assuming not the metal band of the same name?

All this undiscovered & discovered shit comes from Detroit.
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #37
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

It's a little slow at times, and the mystery is never solved; but I found Dreams of A Life an interesting watch. It's the story of a London woman who was found in her flat three years after she had died. The doco seeks to recreate her life and to question why someone who was attractive and popular, albeit quite mysterious and guarded at times; could simply be forgotten about for so long.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:12 PM   #38
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukin View Post
Did anyone else here see Searching for Sugarman? It's just been nominated in the documentary category at the Oscars.

An incredible story and one of the best music docs I've ever seen.
I just watched it on Sunday. Really, really enjoyed it. Great story and some beautiful songs.
ishellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #39
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
It's a little slow at times, and the mystery is never solved; but I found Dreams of A Life an interesting watch. It's the story of a London woman who was found in her flat three years after she had died. The doco seeks to recreate her life and to question why someone who was attractive and popular, albeit quite mysterious and guarded at times; could simply be forgotten about for so long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoKs36dTOcE
I really wanted to like this one more. The trailer made it look much more promising than it is. I felt it was overly long, the bits where they concentrated on her aspiring music career felt superfluous most of the time. And yeah, the fact that they don't solve the mystery is a little annoying and anti-climactic.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #40
robotulism
lamest gamer

There's a show on ID on Discovery Called Disappeared that I don't watch because they never find the people! I can't stand when it's not solved. Makes me too sad.

But that documentary looks intriguing. I might have to make an exception.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #41
Friendly Fire
Walking Around Sense

Saw Muscle Shoals last night. Highly recommend it. Come for the music history, stay for the hilarious Keef interviews.

Quote:
Located on the banks of the Tennessee River, Muscle Shoals, Alabama is the unlikely breeding ground for some of the most creative and defiant music in American history.

Under the spiritual influence of the "Singing River" as Native Americans called it, the music of Muscle Shoals is some of the most important and resonant of all time. "I'll Take You There", "Brown Sugar", "When a Man Loves a Woman", "I Never Loved A Man the Way That I Loved You", "Mustang Sally", "Tell Mama", "Kodachrome", and "Freebird" are just a few of the tens of thousands of tracks created there.

At its heart is Rick Hall who founded FAME Studios. Overcoming crushing poverty and staggering tragedies, he brought black and white musicians together to create music that would last for generations while also giving birth to the unique 'Muscle Shoals sound' and the rhythm section 'The Swampers'.

In this movie legendary artists including Aretha Franklin, Greg Allman, Bono, Clarence Carter, Jimmy Cliff, Mick Jagger, Etta James, Alicia Keys, Wilson Pickett, Keith Richards, Percy Sledge, Steve Winwood and others bear witness to the magnetism and mystery of Muscle Shoals and why it remains a global influence today.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:53 PM   #42
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendly Fire View Post
Saw Muscle Shoals last night. Highly recommend it. Come for the music history, stay for the hilarious Keef interviews.

I'll watch it even though Bono is in it.

I swear, it's like he just has a radar for when music documentaries are being filmed, shows up to one and is like, "I'm in this now."
Old 11-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #43
Friendly Fire
Walking Around Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishellmay View Post
I'll watch it even though Bono is in it.

I swear, it's like he just has a radar for when music documentaries are being filmed, shows up to one and is like, "I'm in this now."
Right?! He didn't even record there! His presence was the only thing that felt off about the entire documentary.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #44
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
Right?! He didn't even record there! His presence was the only thing that felt off about the entire documentary.
Which is exactly how I felt about the otherwise lovely doco Julian Schnabel did on Joe Strummer. Get the fuck out, Bono! And take John Cusack with you!
Old 11-12-2013, 06:28 AM   #45
roscoe

roscoe is just really niceroscoe is just really nice

Lots of interesting stuff here:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/film...-documentaries

http://www.roscoe.bandcamp.com
roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #46
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoe View Post
Grizzly Man and Thin Blue Line are amazing.
I actually thought Fog of War was slightly better than TBL.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #47
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, Grizzly Man was good and I can listen to Richard Thompson play guitar all day.
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:00 AM   #48
roscoe

roscoe is just really niceroscoe is just really nice

Like the look of 'Shoah' & 'The Sorrow & The Pity'. Been hooked on WW2 docs since seeing 'The World At War' as a kid.

And yeah, Bono in music documentaries... Enough man!

http://www.roscoe.bandcamp.com
roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #49
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
I watched The Imposter last night. Very intense.

Just watched this recently and thought it was terrific. Really compelling and the sense of mystery is so well maintained right to the closing credits.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #50
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
Just watched this recently and thought it was terrific. Really compelling and the sense of mystery is so well maintained right to the closing credits.
Just finished watching this, very engaging.
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links