TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Music
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

The Smashing Pumpkins Reissues

Old 11-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #1
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold
The Smashing Pumpkins Reissues

Can't wait for these. Epic number of bonus material on both Gish & Siamese Dreams.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Smashing Pumpkins Reissues

They are out there. Really well done. Even the bonus stuff. Its not filler. Its real complementary.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:48 AM   #3
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

Have to do an A/B comparison to hear the differences.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:01 PM   #4
JackStark211

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
They are out there. Really well done. Even the bonus stuff. Its not filler. Its real complementary.
I'll have to look after work. How is the bonus version of Drown? Is it the long one from the Singles soundtrack?

Also, how is Starla? It says its a 2011 mix, so is it drastically different?
Old 11-28-2011, 12:10 PM   #5
Tim Simmons

Drown just has a different guitar solo. But its pretty identical to the singles version.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:12 PM   #6
JackStark211

Very excited and now REALLY ready to get off work so I can track these down.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:37 PM   #7
Tim Simmons

Starla is the PI version with the guitar solo section mixed a bit differently. I don't know why its here and not on the PI deluxe.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #8
Tim Simmons

Outside of a new master for PI, I have no idea what is going on the bonus disc because all the good different versions are on these reissues.

Unless they just put all the b-sides from the era and a few odds and ends on it.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #9
JackStark211

I did not know they were making a PI reissue.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:06 PM   #10
Tim Simmons

All the albums are getting the reissue treatment. Even The Aeroplane Flies High.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:07 PM   #11
Tim Simmons

Machina I & II are going to be re-done as an integrated album.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:08 PM   #12
JackStark211

Wow. Are they coming out next years?
Old 11-28-2011, 03:15 PM   #13
Tim Simmons

PI will be out for RSD in April. MCIS and Aeroplane will also be next year. I'm guessing about this time. Adore, Machina I & II and a new hits package will be out in 2013.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:25 PM   #14
JackStark211

Quote:
PI will be out for RSD in April. MCIS and Aeroplane will also be next year. I'm guessing about this time. Adore, Machina I & II and a new hits package will be out in 2013.
I wonder what kind of formate Aeroplane will be released as.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:56 PM   #15
Tim Simmons

Its getting pressed to vinyl. But a 2 disc compilation is realistic.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:54 AM   #16
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

My thoughts on these:
1. I don't like the cover art on these (not that it matters too much) - it just takes the original artwork and makes it look a bit dumb
2. I am really keen now to hear the extra material and see the DVDs - I won't be getting the vinyls though (except probably Aeroplane Flies High and Machina II because they haven't been available on vinyl before so I don't have them)
3. I kind of think they should just be doing the studio albums (plus Machina II) - although Pisces Iscariot is the best b-sides album of all time, I just don't think it's really necessary - as Tim said, not sure what they'd put on it since they've used some of the things you'd expect to be on it for the Siamese Dream/Gish ones. The only SD era b-sides that weren't on PI that they could add are French Movie Theme (which isn't that great), Purr Snickety, Apathy's Last Kiss, Siamese Dream and Never Let Me Down.
4. I kind of think that they shouldn't do the Aeroplane Flies High, but I am also sort of pleased I will be able to get all of these songs on vinyl now. I am interested in how they're going to package it though, I would like to see it not being identical to the original because it kind of dilutes how awesome that box set is. I think it would need to be on 3 CDs minimum. It's 33 songs and one of them is 25 minutes long (although you can't call it a song really, it's just a poorly edited together mash off riffs recorded at rehearsal, kind of weird but also kind of interesting - I probably listen to the whole track maybe once a year)
5. Machina II - really glad that this is finally getting a release, there are some killer tracks on here. By the way, although Machina is my least favorite pre-breakup album of theirs, the packaging of the vinyl is awesome (and mine is signed by Jimmy too!)

BUT what I really really want is the final concert at the Metro to come out. Four and a half hours long! That teaser of An Ode To No-One that they threw on the Greatest Hits DVD as an extra was incredible (and also really mean that it didn't come out after that, although I know that wasn't Billy's fault).

I am a freaking SP geek.
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:09 AM   #17
Tim Simmons

I read that PI is just going to be a remaster and thats it. No bonus stuff.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:11 AM   #18
Tim Simmons

I know everyone clamors for the final show. I'd rather have an MCIS era show. Like maybe those 2 set shows they played as a warmup for the tour.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:43 AM   #19
JackStark211

Did the Pumpkins ever do any acoustic sets?
Old 11-29-2011, 04:03 PM   #20
JackStark211

Quote:
Starla is the PI version with the guitar solo section mixed a bit differently. I don't know why its here and not on the PI deluxe.
Yeah, some of the bonus tracks are interesting and again some very cool versions are missing, like teh Peel session of Smiley.

I am really excited about a remaster of PI.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:07 PM   #21
JackStark211

I'm actually wishing these bonus tracks were remasters of the original ones I've heard. THe thing that keeps me from being mad is the fact that PI is being reissued.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:10 PM   #22
JackStark211

THe album remasters sound amazing though.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:46 PM   #23
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Quote:
I know everyone clamors for the final show. I'd rather have an MCIS era show. Like maybe those 2 set shows they played as a warmup for the tour.
That would be good. I used to have one of those shows on VHS (recorded off the TV, so it was only part of the show, but still awesome).

It had the acoustic set first - 33, Cupid De Locke and 1979 and then they came back out in their rockstar clothes (Billy in the silver pants and zero shirt) and launch into Zero. It also had Thru the Eyes of Ruby, Porcelina, To Forgive, BWBW.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:48 PM   #24
lukin
I'm talking ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStark211 View Post
THe album remasters sound amazing though.
Yes Jack, they did. The first shows on the MCIS tour when they were playing smaller venues they did an acoustic set followed by an electric set.

There's also an acoustic set they did around 1992 which had both Gish and SD songs on it - I'll PM you.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:01 AM   #25
JackStark211

sweet. thanks.