TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Ghost Town > Justin Townes Earle Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

JTE Feud with His Label

Old 12-19-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
GILMORE104
Moo

GILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud of
JTE Feud with His Label

Feud is apparently not with Bloodshot but with some label called Communion run by the accordion player from Mumford & Sons. I suppose that explains JTE's Twitter picture

http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/ju...h-record-label

Songwriter and performer Justin Townes Earle has been on the warpath as of late through his always-entertaining Twitter account, taking to task a record label for standing in the way of a new release.

On October 19th, Justin seemed to allude through Twitter that he was done writing the material for a new album, posting “I might have finally finished writing this bitch!!!! Freedom!!!!!!!!”

Then more recently the tone has turned quite sour, with Justin posting on December 15th, “I have now learned that you can never trust a bunch of babies that ain’t worked a day in their lives. May Shane McGowan kick their asses. The only thing I hate about business is that it’s frowned upon to pistol whip the competition. Tweets are gonna be angry for awhile. Just found out I won’t be making a record for a while due to a bunch of pussies in an office. Never working with another record label.”

Shane MacGowan is the former front man for the Irish rock group The Pogues.

Then on December 18th, Earle posted, “So I am being told that I agreed to write 30 songs and let the label “help” make the record. That for sent even sound like me! Like I would ever let some little twit fucking comb through my work. And calling me a liar well them is fighting words. Anytime bitch’s!”

Justin Townes Earle released his last album Nothing’s Gonna Change The Way You Feel About Me Now in March of 2012 through Bloodshot Records; a label he singed with in 2007 and subsequently released 5 albums through. The ambiguity of Earle’s tweets left some fans not certain about Earle’s contractual situation thinking Bloodshot was the target of his criticism. There was never any news of Earle signing with a new label. Co-owner of Bloodshot Nan Warshaw told Saving Country Music, “When Justin Townes Earle delivered his last album “Nothing’s Gonna Change The Way You Feel About Me Now”, that successfully and amicably completed his multi-album recording contract with Bloodshot Records. Bloodshot is honored to have his five releases in our catalog and to have helped launch his career. We wish Justin all the best.”

Instead it is apparently Communion Records—a British label owned by Ben Lovett, the accordion and keyboard player of Mumford & Sons, and Kevin Jones of Bear’s Den—that is drawing Justin Townes Earle’s ire. Justin clarified this today (12-19) through Twitter, saying “My rants have to do with communion records! not bloodshot. leave the good people at bloodshot alone! Badger the fucking Brits.”

Justin told VOX Magazine in April, “I’m trying to wrap up writing my next record. It’s one that I’m paying very close attention because I’ve completed my contract with Bloodshot (Records). I’m going to be moving on to probably a little bit bigger (label). I’m just trying to do my best, to be in control of my everything — producing records and all that stuff. We actually already have offers from labels. I’ve recorded one track mainly because a couple of the bigger record labels are looking at me. We made a teaser track just to say this is what we do, this is how we do it, and this is how we’re going to do it.”

The conflict appears to be with Communion Records requesting Justin turn in 30 songs that they can then vet to eventually be parred down to his next record, but Earle doesn’t have that many songs so the album-making process can’t move forward. What this means in the long run is that it could be a lwhile for new Justin Townes Earle material.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute
Re: JTE Feud with His Label

Man. Mumford and Sons ruin everything.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
Man. Mumford and Sons ruin everything.
Yeah fuck them... easy for them to say... all they do is remake U2 and Colplay tunes and add a shitload of banjo. JTE often cares about actually writing songs.
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:47 AM   #4
GILMORE104
Moo

GILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud of

My only question is how the fuck did he not know that clause was in the contract he signed?
Old 12-20-2013, 07:08 AM   #5
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

Probably because he wasn't sober.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:10 AM   #6
Tim Simmons

What I don't get is why he settled on a boutique label started by a Mumford. How is it better than bloodshot? Because it's some majors boutique label? I. Would think there were better more established labels that would want him.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #7
GILMORE104
Moo

I get the feeling they threw a bunch of money his way.

Also, you're likely right that he probably wasn't sober.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #8
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

roshea999 has a spectacular aura about

Fucking mumford.

But this really sucks. I was looking forward to knew stuff from him.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:32 PM   #9
littleamen

littleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to behold
JTE Feud with His Label

On twitter a couple days ago, he said he was going to try release an EP this coming year independently.
littleamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:34 PM   #10
littleamen

littleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to behold
JTE Feud with His Label

Found it!
Old 12-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #11
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

If he's got say 15 songs completed, then he should just write another 15 really shitty songs about how Mumford and Sons are kiddie fiddlers or something and then they'll have to choose the ones he wants.
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #12
littleamen

JTE Feud with His Label

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukin View Post
If he's got say 15 songs completed, then he should just write another 15 really shitty songs about how Mumford and Sons are kiddie fiddlers or something and then they'll have to choose the ones he wants.

Ha! Perfect.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #13
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleamen View Post
Ha! Perfect.
"Mumford ogling someone's son at Rogers Park"
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:41 AM   #14
sadie7
slow down

sadie7 is a glorious beacon of lightsadie7 is a glorious beacon of lightsadie7 is a glorious beacon of light

Did anyone know he got married? I read an article somewhere last night - during insomnia - I think he said she is 6'3" and was some kind of athlete - skiing maybe?

I always wish happiness for pretty much anyone, but for some reason, I just want him to have happiness overflow, seems he is well overdue.
sadie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:28 AM   #15
Tim Simmons

He said on Twitter he did.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:34 AM   #16
Tim Simmons

Q. You like a straight cut?

A. I do, and I don’t like seeing guys in skinny jeans because they need to realize that the waist and crotch was cut for a woman which hopefully you’re not hung like a woman. I [also] don’t like shirts without collars and I don’t really wear T-shirts. My grandfather always said to wear long-sleeve shirts and if you get hot, roll the sleeves up. . . . My wife is pretty well “sleeved” in the right arm and has pieced together tattoos diagonal across her body. When she was 11, she was the national US water-skiing champion and then she did freestyle half-pipe snowboarding when she was a teenager and then started racing Super-G. Her form is absolutely stunning. Now she’s a gyrotonics teacher so she’s 6’3’’ with an amazing body and those tattoos. And I’m 6’4”.

Q. Tall couple.

A. It was kind of an immediate thing. We met four months before we spent one week together in Texas and two weeks together in Salt Lake. We got married in Tahoe about 2½ weeks ago.

Q. What did you wear?

A. We were both wearing blue jeans and flannel shirts. We just decided to do it because our families tend to complicate our lives, and we thought this is our day and has nothing to do with anybody else and we shouldn’t have to run around on our wedding day and take care of people, which is exactly what would have happened. I believe it’s not about the other people. I think a lot of women want weddings . . . but it gets completely out of control. People are spending ridiculous amounts of money on weddings. Go buy a house. Take a vacation.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:52 PM   #17
GILMORE104
Moo

Anyone got a name?
Old 01-06-2014, 11:27 AM   #18
GILMORE104
Moo

http://instagram.com/p/ivLaqRuHdB/

Old 01-10-2014, 10:47 AM   #19
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

roshea999 has a spectacular aura about

Good for him. His feelings on weddings are spot-on.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:54 AM   #20
GILMORE104
Moo

now this is potentially good news: https://twitter.com/JustinTEarle/sta...10475856822272

Quote:
Justin Townes Earle ‏@JustinTEarle Feb 28
In the final stages of writing this record again. It's now a double record. Gonna get in the studio as fast as possible. Sorry for the delay
Old 04-07-2014, 05:06 PM   #21
La Cienega
la la la la la

La Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant future

Have we talked at all on here about his Twitter fight / fallout with Jason Isbell and Amanda Shires a few months back?

Magnolia Mountain : We'll be an approved fansite in no time, thanks to La's rack!

last.fm
La Cienega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:47 PM   #22
Tim Simmons

No. Really?
Old 04-07-2014, 08:00 PM   #23
La Cienega
la la la la la

La Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant future

Yeah. Some of the tweets were deleted but they went at it from what I was told. I found out after so only saw some of the tweets that were left on JTE's page (see around Jan 5th), ripping on some of Isbell's lyrics though I don't think that's how it started. Apparently Amanda and Isbell were both tweeting at JTE and him back at them. From my understanding they're not friends anymore. JTE doesn't follow either of them on twitter anymore.

Magnolia Mountain : We'll be an approved fansite in no time, thanks to La's rack!

last.fm
Old 04-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #24
Tim Simmons

Bummer. Just listened to the wtf podcast and he explained it. Seems like it's not a big deal outside of JTE's mind.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:12 PM   #25
La Cienega
la la la la la

link to the wtf podcast?

last.fm
Sponsored Links