TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Gross Town > Ryan Adams Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ryan Adams, abuse, and the Stans that love them.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:36 PM   #601
folkjam

folkjam is a glorious beacon of lightfolkjam is a glorious beacon of lightfolkjam is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Your favorite singer/songwriter is a Perv: The Thread

Benson Amps suspended their partnership with him. The custom amp isn't happening.
folkjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:49 PM   #602
ailema

ailema is on a distinguished road

Hey guys... long time no see.

The main thought I've had since reading this is- Did I ever make fun of some teenager he took advantage of? When a bunch of us made fun of Megan McIsaac for the sexy sock photos did that treatment make her think twice about speaking out? Why did I think it was funny to mock ephemeron's online hipster persona when Ryan was a full grown adult using his blog to flirt with teenagers and lash out at women who'd left him?

I'm not shocked by anything in that article and that somehow makes it all worse.

Last edited by ailema; 02-14-2019 at 09:15 PM..
ailema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:56 PM   #603
Loveishello86

Loveishello86 will become famous soon enough

I guess we know the answer to the lyric “oh, why do they leave?”
Loveishello86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:03 PM   #604
The Black Map
Parallel Lines

The Black Map will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourkingpin View Post
Yikes - I always wondered about his account of that relationship.
The Black Map is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:13 PM   #605
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourkingpin View Post
I've got no way of knowing for sure whether its true or not, but let's face it - Carrie Hamilton's sister has no reason to lie about this, and RA has plenty of reasons to.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:14 PM   #606
andyo812

andyo812 is a glorious beacon of lightandyo812 is a glorious beacon of lightandyo812 is a glorious beacon of light

i honestly had a feeling this could happen one day. he has been outspoken politically/ socially at points the past few years but i never recall anything supporting similar cases in this movement.

it was nothing more than me being worried when he appeared to be in bad ways but just that gut feeling. the phoebe bridgers song and depiction, how he treated his previous ex on social media, Benny leaving the band suddenly.

It’s naivety but also shows how protected he was and how insanely difficult it can be for women to come out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
andyo812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:22 PM   #607
bruit
Yo Fat Chow

bruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
I've got no way of knowing for sure whether its true or not, but let's face it - Carrie Hamilton's sister has no reason to lie about this, and RA has plenty of reasons to.
Yes yes yes! Hi Syd 😃
Old 02-14-2019, 09:30 PM   #608
SonofabitchVanOwen

SonofabitchVanOwen will become famous soon enough

Phoebe Bridgers was twenty years old. Sorry she had a shitty relationship with another adult.

The woman who did the Cardinology cover is the only one of the adult stories that really sounds fucked up. Sounds like he basically stalked her and she alluded to even worse stuff that she didn't want to disclose. That's fucked up. Note the difference in that she told him she was dating someone and he kept pursuing her and harassing her. She didn't decide to enter into a long term relationship with him and/or marry him. Those distinctions matter.

The 14 year old girl shit is completely fucked up and might land him in the pen. And it wasn't one conversation or a lapse of judgment. It was a continuous courting over years. FUCKED UP.
SonofabitchVanOwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:47 PM   #609
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkjam View Post
Benson Amps suspended their partnership with him. The custom amp isn't happening.
same with jhs - the vcr pedal is being rebranded and a portion of remaining stock sales will be donated to help 'fight against sexual abuse and misconduct'
sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:09 PM   #610
andyo812

andyo812 is a glorious beacon of lightandyo812 is a glorious beacon of lightandyo812 is a glorious beacon of light

and Walrus.

andyo812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:40 PM   #611
ViolaGal

ViolaGal is a jewel in the roughViolaGal is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Map View Post
Yikes - I always wondered about his account of that relationship.
Ooof, that account is pretty damning. I remember reading threads here before about some speculation that his account of that relationship was questionable. I seem to remember that someone asked Carol Burnett about it and she had no idea who he was. So it doesn't surprise me to read it, but it's way harsher than I'd imagined...
ViolaGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:53 PM   #612
seatakestheship

seatakestheship is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post

I also recall reading quotes from Carol Burnett about how great Ryan was to Carrie, etc., so the mom May disagree.
seatakestheship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:06 AM   #613
brucewd

brucewd is an unknown quantity at this point

Rethinking.

Last edited by brucewd; 02-15-2019 at 01:50 AM.. Reason: reason?
brucewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:59 AM   #614
CrossedOutName

CrossedOutName is an unknown quantity at this point

Haven’t posted on here for some time and have been reading the thousands of comments across the various outlets the past day or so. I have a similar story like so many... been into Ryan for years, travelled all over far and wide following him around on tours. Spent absolute shit loads on the all the merch and the various forms of vinyl and special bits and pieces, got married to ‘My love for you is real’, so... like many the past day or so has been real, real tough to swallow. Don’t even know what I’m trying to say here... just this fucking sucks so bad. Not sure I’ve got it i me to say I’m done with him. I had a listen to some of the Carnegie Hall boxset today to see how I felt, and I still felt the same love for those tunes, but it felt extremely sad. Man, this blows...

CrossedOutName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:06 AM   #615
Smokeycat

Smokeycat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossedOutName View Post
Haven’t posted on here for some time and have been reading the thousands of comments across the various outlets the past day or so. I have a similar story like so many... been into Ryan for years, travelled all over far and wide following him around on tours. Spent absolute shit loads on the all the merch and the various forms of vinyl and special bits and pieces, got married to ‘My love for you is real’, so... like many the past day or so has been real, real tough to swallow. Don’t even know what I’m trying to say here... just this fucking sucks so bad. Not sure I’ve got it i me to say I’m done with him. I had a listen to some of the Carnegie Hall boxset today to see how I felt, and I still felt the same love for those tunes, but it felt extremely sad. Man, this blows...

Yes, I know where you are coming from but as a note of comfort I still listen to Rolf Harris. Jake The Peg is an absolute classic !
Smokeycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:48 AM   #616
Alan57

Alan57 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossedOutName View Post

This is how I feel.On a forum on Hoffman’s the other day where you had to list your favourite artists of all time I put him 5 behind Springsteen,Beatles,Dylan and Young and I’m old enough to be around and listening when the Beatles came on the scene.There is no one whose music has meant as much to me in the last 20 years.I have seen him multiple times live at his healthiest and least healthiest both mentally and physically.Always was aware of the demons that seemed to be lurking.
I feel for the girls most of all but also feel for Ryan.The music is unimportant now.He needs to get well and if that is a full time job for the rest of his life so be it.
Alan57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:38 AM   #617
carocat

carocat is an unknown quantity at this point

Did the new Yorker took the articule down? I can’t access to the link...

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
carocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:59 AM   #618
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalvenie View Post
we are talking about power. we can say he held some due to his influence in the music market…pax am, studio session time, headlining promises etc…those women don’t have any power and i don’t believe they were using him AT ALL. i’m no psychologist (thank god) but we’re dealing w/ a charming ego maniac here to paint as a victim is fucking way off base…this excuse of pay to play sexual favors doesn’t fucking fly just because it’s been how it’s done. that’s the whole fucking point of metoo!!! time to fucking change and stop this bullshit.

and as for the 14/15/16/17 year old…he’s the ADULT!!! he is the adult. i don’t need to know a thing about psychology to understand she is a star struck pubescent full of wonder home schooled so called prodigy…she got some attention in the worst way. he might not be a pedophile but i think we can all agree that if this predator was on the other end of the phone w/ one of our kids i would personally go chop his nuts off. a 40 year old, granted he’s stunted, egomaniacal and immature as fuck, but he knows better…prodding her and working her over. can we all say w/ certainty that we ourselves at 15 would have handled it any better in the face of a musical hero who is manipulating his way in the door w/ compliments and charm and promises of working together…???

i’l fucking argue w/ all of you on this. not impressed that any of you see it differently. he’s an adult w/ power and notoriety and influence.

and mandy moore is absolutely a victim. being stifled and put down and abused IS FUCKING AWFUL. i grew up in a house w/ an addict and narcissist. this guy would go out of his way to make sure the light was on him and keep her in the dark…so to speak. kudos to her to being brave and standing up against an over opinionated immature developmentally stunted jerk.

i’m gutted, sad and heartbroken that one of my biggest musical heroes turned out to be THIS BIG PIECE OF SHIT. i have been done w/ him for a while but man at least i could always go back to the music…just the other night i put on love is hell and cranked up english girls and please do not let me go…amongst others…this guy’s music saved me and my littler brother through college. so glad my bro isn’t alive to read this shit…he’d be gutted as well. the last two songs he played before he killed himself were in my time of need and rats in the wall…still have the video of him playing it on his takamine guitar

again,
i am selling my vinyl collection. i’m milesofnothing on ebay
I hear you man, loud and clear. I've also been completely disgusted with some of the defending/"but the liberal media" bullshit that has been going on in this thread (mostly by one person, who I am happy to see is now banned). It's fucking indefensible.
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:17 AM   #619
CrossedOutName

Other than the reply Jason Isbell gave replying to a tweet, has anyone that could be classed in Ryan’s close circle or musicians he has played closely with come out and said something? I don’t mean defending him either.. but just made comment on any of this? Todd? Bob Mould? Even Don Was?

Old 02-15-2019, 04:55 AM   #620
oreo137

oreo137 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by minty_fresh_uk View Post
Would be interesting to hear from Jon Graboff, Brad Pemberton. All the many band members he's badmouthed and left behind.
oreo137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:58 AM   #621
CrossedOutName

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreo137 View Post

He definitely burnt some serious bridges with those guys.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:01 AM   #622
SonofabitchVanOwen

SonofabitchVanOwen will become famous soon enough

But...the Cardinal signal!
SonofabitchVanOwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:14 AM   #623
Loveishello86

Loveishello86 will become famous soon enough

Not one female or friend is saying anything positive about ryan, says a lot.
Loveishello86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:25 AM   #624
loveisreal

loveisreal can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveishello86 View Post
Not one female or friend is saying anything positive about ryan, says a lot.
No one would, even if you wanted to bc. then the next shit storm starts on your side. And then the media will pick it up XX supports sexual abuse etc.
loveisreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:32 AM   #625
loveisreal

loveisreal can only hope to improve

I would even say it is a good sign for him that no one of his friends is saying sth bad.
loveisreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links