Go Back   TBY Forum > Gross Town > Ryan Adams Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

ryans harmonica

Old 09-10-2007, 04:24 AM   #1
eggs
~

eggs will become famous soon enough
ryans harmonica

does anyone know what key ryans harmonica is in?

cheers
eggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:52 AM   #2
ewok.online
CATHERINE

ewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ryans harmonica

depends on what song.

the only one i really know is come pick me up. it's capo on 3 and the harp is a B flat.
i think call me on your way back home is B flat, too. cant say for sure without it with me.

if you catch my drift, a lot of his songs are with a b flat harp.

Faith restored, stay out of the fucking canyon, climb down from the goddamn plateau.
ewok.online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 05:22 AM   #3
eggs
~

i have a harmonica in G, and ive wanted to start throwing come pick me up into my set. so im gunna go buy one in Bb i guess, cool, thanks ewok!
Old 09-10-2007, 06:10 AM   #4
eggs
~

hey ewok is it diatonic?
Old 09-10-2007, 09:42 AM   #5
ewok.online
CATHERINE

ewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond repute

yeppers.
his is a Hohner if you wanna go authentic.

Faith restored, stay out of the fucking canyon, climb down from the goddamn plateau.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:42 PM   #6
DamnSam

DamnSam is an unknown quantity at this point

Come pick me up is played with an Eb harmonica, he plays it cross harp meaning he draws most of the notes to utilize bends. Bb will sound ok, but not quite as good. He also uses Eb on Firecracker and I taught myself how to grow old.
DamnSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:50 PM   #7
ewok.online
CATHERINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnSam View Post
Come pick me up is played with an Eb harmonica, he plays it cross harp meaning he draws most of the notes to utilize bends. Bb will sound ok, but not quite as good. He also uses Eb on Firecracker and I taught myself how to grow old.
then explain how i cna get the EXACT chording and draw bends on my Bb?

eh. i dont wanna be a dick.
until ryan himself tells me otherwise, i'm using my Bb.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:56 PM   #8
DamnSam

Can you? I played that with a Bb for months and it just never sounded quite right to me. When i got the Eb it just all clicked.

Maybe we can post recordings or something to compare?
Old 09-10-2007, 07:00 PM   #9
ewok.online
CATHERINE

Quote:
Can you? I played that with a Bb for months and it just never sounded quite right to me. When i got the Eb it just all clicked.

Maybe we can post recordings or something to compare?
we could put them in the uploads on our profiles, i reckon.

HARP OFF!!
haha.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:07 PM   #10
DamnSam

Sounds good, ill do it when i get home. If you are right and I could have used my Bb i will be pissed cause i just spent $28 on an Eb!
Old 09-10-2007, 07:29 PM   #11
ewok.online
CATHERINE

Quote:
Sounds good, ill do it when i get home. If you are right and I could have used my Bb i will be pissed cause i just spent $28 on an Eb!
never hurts to have more harps. haha.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:14 PM   #12
eggs
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewok.online View Post
yeppers.
his is a Hohner if you wanna go authentic.
yeah i wanna get another hohner

gee so what will it be?

Eb or Bb
Old 09-10-2007, 10:12 PM   #13
clewis
gangster

clewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud of

I'd go with Bb.
clewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:08 AM   #14
DamnSam

Okay, here's my sample. This is with the Eb

http://www.sendspace.com/file/zdl99p
Old 09-11-2007, 12:20 AM   #15
ewok.online
CATHERINE

Quote:
Okay, here's my sample. This is with the Eb

http://www.sendspace.com/file/zdl99p
i'll put one up in the morning, everyone here is asleep, and i dont think they would take kindly to harp blowing.

...but good job, man.
you made me rethink my Bb position a little bit. i might just have to to get an Eb just so i can alternate when i feel like it. haha.

edit: after taking CPMU into my editing program and slowing it down, i can hear the crossharp.

i yield, sir.
but i'm still gonna post mine, because i think it's still pretty accurate.

Last edited by ewok.online; 09-11-2007 at 12:23 AM.. Reason: i am a tool.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:31 AM   #16
DamnSam

Sounds good. Can't wait to hear it. I always tried Bb and could never get it to sound good, but im also a hack ass harp player.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:38 PM   #17
herhalloweenhead

herhalloweenhead is an unknown quantity at this point

What's the key verdict on - I Taught Myself How to Grow Old? Eb?

This was a fun conversation to read ha!
herhalloweenhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:28 PM   #18
ewok.online
CATHERINE

I forgot about this thread! Haha!

And yeah, that's Eb. The vast majority of times dude harps it up, it's and Eb with a capo on the 3rd. That's (as previously stated) CPMU, Firecracker, To Be The One, Dance All Night, Call Me On Your Way..., etc.

Desire is a G with capo 5. Pretty sure Hallelujah and One For The Rose is an A, no capo.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:30 AM   #19
IamFrancho

IamFrancho is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad I found this posting. I slid my cap up to the fourth fret and used an E harmonica in my limited arsenal and it started to make sense! Thanks. Just ordered an E flat and B flat.
IamFrancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links