TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Music > Album Discussion > 2013 Albums Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Kanye West - Yeezus (June 18)

Old 12-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #126
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kanye West - Yeezus (June 18)

But he makes the best jams.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #127
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Yep. He should just go away.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #128
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
What Kanye doesn't get is that its less about pushing music forward and more about sales and industry backscratching and high fiving and CBS ratings.
You said it better... maybe in his own way, Kanye feels like this kind of statement is his own way to use his mainstream popularity to take larger industry institutions to task. If he were making these statements about another artist in the same position, he would be lauded as an advocate.
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #129
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Kanye is not my cup of tea, so pretty much the only thing I've taken notice of lately is the Bound 2 video. So question for Kanye fans - do you think
it's a deliberate joke by him ( a sort of parody of himself) or is it meant to be serious?
I don't know enough about him as an artist to make a judgment either way.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #130
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
But he makes the best jams.
I'd have to disagree.
He's always been a stronger producer for others than he's ever been a rap artist. The bulk of his material has always felt to me like the substance doesn't propel the style enough to make me stop and listen intently.

If you want good jams, listen to the Kelela mixtape that came out this year, "Cut 4 Me". It's slick r&b, has great hooks and thank god she decided not to become a jazz singer because her voice is perfectly suited for the stuff she's writing.

ishellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #131
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
Kanye is not my cup of tea, so pretty much the only thing I've taken notice of lately is the Bound 2 video. So question for Kanye fans - do you think
it's a deliberate joke by him ( a sort of parody of himself) or is it meant to be serious?
I don't know enough about him as an artist to make a judgment either way.
I was mildly interested in Kanye for a bit when he worked with Jon Brion on Late Registration. I've never thought his rhymes or delivery were particularly amazing. He is, in my opinion, the Madonna of the hip hop world. Lots of theatrics, lots of chest-thumping, needs a lot of studio trickery to pull shit off.

I agree with Rembert Browne's words here:
Quote:
[...]this is Kanye West. He already gave us a gift with "Bound 2," a song that feels out of place on Yeezus, but is nonetheless welcome because of how it evokes memories of Kanyes of years past. So it's not that surprising that he decided to do exactly what he wanted with the video.

If I may impart one piece of advice, it is to never watch this video again. Because he didn't make it for you. It's a home video that he made for Kim.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #132
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

The video isn't a joke. And its not very good. I haven't seen many of his videos so i can't compare.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #133
Tim Simmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishellmay View Post
I'd have to disagree.
He's always been a stronger producer for others than he's ever been a rap artist. The bulk of his material has always felt to me like the substance doesn't propel the style enough to make me stop and listen intently.

His production for others has been fantastic, but lets be real here. He doesn't get all the attention he does because of his antics. Sure his rants get covered in the media, and that many people know him only because of that or Kim, or whatever, but is he established for his rants, or his success as a hip hop artist?

If he had one popular album or a few hits I'd agree with you. But this dude has made the most acclaimed Hip hop of the past decade. Sure there have been big rappers in the past 10 years, some garnering more attention at times that Mr. West (Drake, lil Wayne), but none have the discography (w/o including his production) that he does. Or the acclaim.

Yeah he runs his mouth and keys his bravado do the talking, but he's got the records to back him up.

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 12-12-2013 at 06:14 PM..
Old 12-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #134
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
His production for others has been fantastic, but lets be real here. He doesn't get all the attention he does because of his antics. Sure his rants get covered in the media, and that many people know him only because of that or Kim, or whatever, but is he established for his rants, or his success as a hip hop artist?

If he had one popular album or a few hits I'd agree with you. But this dude has made the most acclaimed Hip hop of the past decade. Sure there have been big rappers in the past 10 years, some garnering more attention at times that Mr. West (Drake, lil Wayne), but none have the discography (w/o including his production) that he does. Or the acclaim.

Yeah he runs his mouth and keys his bravado do the talking, but he's got the records to back him up.
I'll give Kanye credit where it's due. Ten years ago hardly anyone had heard of him and he was starting to get his name out there by collaborating with the more socially conscious hip hop artists like Common and Talib Kweli. His focus has since shifted and he's worked his ass off to have complete creative control over his executions. Kudos to that.

No, no one in the game has the discography that he does. He's incredibly prolific, I'll give him that, but even 808s and Heartbreaks was a throwaway. (Dude can't sing and no amount of pitch modulation will fix it.)

He's shifted a certain collective consciousness, certainly. People like Kanye and Jay-Z are responsible for the current gentrification (if you will) of hip hop. You think anyone in the projects gave a shit about Anna Wintour and Marina Abramovic before these two started running their mouths? Not likely. The fact that high brow performance artists are looking to hip hop as a genuine art form speaks volumes to what Kanye's accomplished.

I don't care about Kim, I don't care about the fashion ventures. I'm willing to overlook the hubris if he's written something worth listening to. I actually thought "Black Slave" was pretty good.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:50 PM   #135
JackStark211

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

I give his music some credit, but his voice sucks. I can't get around that.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:12 PM   #136
GoodSkanky

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The video isn't a joke. And its not very good. I haven't seen many of his videos so i can't compare.
It's so weird, because that song works so well on the record and the feel is so relaxed after the rest of the record which is pretty hard edged. I really found that it lost it's effect with the added intro and mix that attempts to make single out of it. In the video, he should have had Kim run over by the motorcycle while he fondles Alison Brie and Kate Upton while smoking a ridiculously huge stogie...
Old 12-12-2013, 11:38 PM   #137
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishellmay;757087[B
It's a home video that he made for Kim.
I hope she's flattered to be portrayed as a rootable motor-bike accessory then.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:16 AM   #138
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStark211 View Post
I give his music some credit, but his voice sucks. I can't get around that.
I can't get around lyrics like "I wanna fuck you hard on the sink, after that give you something to drink".

The first line, yeah ok, maybe. But the second, it's just like "what rhymes with sink? Oh I know, drink!"

Don't get it at all. No, I take that back, that implies that there is something to get that I'm not getting.

This that emperor's nu clothes shit.
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:47 AM   #139
Tim Simmons

Yeah, but you took one if the worst lines from the album. There are dozens of utterly fantastic rhymes.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:23 AM   #140
GoodSkanky

Besides... he follows that up with "can't get no spunk on the mink."
Old 12-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #141
JackStark211

With lyrics like those it is no wonder he is now married to Kim Kardashian.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #142
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Kanye West's 15 Best Quotes of 2013

On Limits
"I've reached a point in my life where my Truman Show boat has hit the painting. And I've got to a point that Michael Jackson did not break down. I have reached the glass ceiling. As a creative person, as a celebrity. When I say that, it means, I want to do product, I am a product person. Not just clothing, but water-bottle design, architecture, everything, you know, that you could think about. And I've been at it for 10 years, and I look around, and I say, wait a second, there's no one in this space that looks like me, and if they are, they're quiet as fuck. So that means, wait a second, now we're seriously, like, in a civil rights movement."

On Corporate Control
"You guys don't understand that I did the Yeezys and they eBay-ed for $90,000 and people wanted them bad as whatever, right. But I didn't get a call from Nike the next day. You guys don't understand that I met with companies and they say, 'What we're trying to figure out is how we can control you and control that.'"

On Classism
"We got this new thing called classism. It's racism's cousin. This is what we do to hold people back. This is what we do. And we got this other thing that's also been working for a long time when you don't have to be racist anymore. It's called self-hate. It works on itself. It's like real estate of racism. Where just like that, when someone comes up and says something like, 'I am a god,' everybody says, 'Who does he think he is?' I just told you who I thought I was! A god! I just told you. That's who I think I am. Would it have been better if I had a song that said, 'I am a n***a? Or if I had a song that said, 'I am a gangster'? Or if I had a song that said, 'I am a pimp'? All those colors and patinas fit better on a person like me, right? But to say you are a god, especially when you got shipped over to the country that you're in, and your last name is a slave owner's. How could you say that? How could you have that mentality?"

On Genre
"I'm a postmodernist, at best, as a career. I'm a futurist, mentally."

On Titling a Certain Hit Song
"Why do you think the song 'N****s in Paris' was called 'N****s in Paris'? Because n****s was in Paris!"

On His Code
"Do you know how many times I sat with people and said I want to make a store. And they said, 'How could you make a store? blah blah blah.' It's in my code. It's in my code. Have y'all ever seen Wreck-It Ralph? You remember how that girl in there … she was the glitch? You tellin' me they don't look at me like I'm the motherfucking glitch? You tellin' me people don't look at Kanye West like the glitch?"

On the Infamous Leather Jogging Pants
"Brought the leather jogging pants six years ago to Fendi, and they said no. How many motherfuckers you done seen with a leather jogging pant?"

On How to Save the World
"I really do believe that the world can be saved through design, and everything needs to actually be 'architected.'"

On Precedents
"I got off the phone with this one dude. I guess he used to run a multi-billion dollar company or something like that and he had some advice for me, right. He said, 'I don't approve of your methods in your interviews lately.' He said he only saw one person before who ever really pulled this off and that was Muhammad Ali."

On His Sanity
"There's so many amazing creative inventors who weren't recognized in their time. And if I've got the voice and I've got the opportunity to turn up in these interviews, I just have to look and say, 'What do I have to lose?' What do I have to lose? We only have everything to gain. So don't ever let them make you think for one moment that I'm going insane. Because I sit back and see shit and think 'Am I the only one that's not crazy?"

On Proper Terminology
"I'm a creative genius and there's no other way to word it."

On Origins
"Never think I'm not from Chicago for one second."

On His Awesome Instincts
"It's only led me to complete awesomeness at all times. It's only led me to awesome truth and awesomeness."

On What Inspires Him
"This one Corbusier lamp was, like, my greatest inspiration."

On His Place in the Pantheon
"Nobody can tell me where I can and can't go. Man, I'm the number one living and breathing rock star. I am Axl Rose; I am Jim Morrison; I am Jimi Hendrix."
Old 12-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #143
Tim Simmons

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!
Old 12-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #144
GoodSkanky

I kind of like all of these.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:47 PM   #145
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
Kanye West is being sued by a former child star whose voice is featured in a sample on West’s hit song, Bound 2.

Ricky Spicer was 12 years old when he recorded Bound with his then-group The Ponderosa Twins Plus One. Now 56, Spicer says he was ‘‘stunned’’ to hear his own voice when Bound 2 aired on radio.

Spicer has filed a lawsuit against West, Roc-A-Fella Records, Island Def-Jam Music, Rhino Entertainment and Universal Music Group, alleging he was never contacted or asked for permission to sample the track.

The lawsuit, filed in Manhattan Supreme Court, states that ‘‘Mr Spicer's voice is sampled exactly as he recorded it and his voice … is heard several times’’.

Spicer was the lead singer and “plus one” alongside two sets of twins in the 1960s soul group. Initial success led them to be dubbed the next Jackson 5, but the quintet disbanded in 1975.

‘‘He was their Michael Jackson,’’ said Vincent Imbesi, Spicer’s attorney.
Bound 2 has been the subject of much ridicule this month, following the release of an over-the-top video clip featuring West and his wife atop a motorbike in front of a series of dramatic landscapes.

Spicer has demanded West provide compensation or stop using the sample.
Neither West nor Universal Music Group have responded to requests for comment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=6J_ZWz4t-0E
Old 12-25-2013, 09:56 PM   #146
Tim Simmons

Will be settled out of court for undisclosed sum. Yawn.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:02 PM   #147
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

I just wanted to quickly point attention to the handbag Kanye has gifted Kim.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:15 PM   #148
GoodSkanky

Maybe she'll reproduce it at Sears as a part of the Kim Kardashian Kollection (KKK).
Old 01-19-2014, 10:46 PM   #149
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Kanye West is interviewed by director Steve McQueen for the February issue of Interview magazine.

Quote:
MCQUEEN: Let's go deep very quickly then: Talk to me about who you were and who you've become—both before and after your accident, the car crash. Who are those two people, Kanye before and Kanye after? Are they different people? Was there a seismic change in who you were after you nearly lost your life?

WEST: I think I started to approach time in a different way after the accident. Before I was more willing to give my time to people and things that I wasn't as interested in because somehow I allowed myself to be brainwashed into being forced to work with other people or on other projects that I had no interest in. So simply, the accident gave me the opportunity to do what I really wanted to do. I was a music producer, and everyone was telling me that I had no business becoming a rapper, so it gave me the opportunity to tell everyone, "Hey, I need some time to recover." But during that recovery period, I just spent all my time honing my craft and making The College Dropout. Without that period, there would have been so many phone calls and so many people putting pressure on me from every direction—so many people I somehow owed something to—and I would have never had the time to do what I wanted to.

MCQUEEN: So basically, it allowed you to focus, and you realized at a certain point that it was now or never—and that you had to do it now.

WEST: Yes. It gave me perspective on life—that it was really now or 100 percent never. I think that people don't make the most of their lives. So, you know, for me, right now it seems like it's the beginning of me rattling the cage, of making some people nervous. And people are strategically trying to do things to mute my voice in some way or make me look like I'm a lunatic or pinpoint the inaccuracies in my grammar to somehow take away from the overall message of what I'm saying ...

MCQUEEN: Well, unfortunately, that is indicative of what a lot of black performers and leaders have had to go through. People will often try to undermine them in a way to take away their power. You know, when I saw you perform, I was like, "This guy is gonna die on stage." When I saw you play, it felt like that—like it could be the last performance that you give. There's an incredible intensity to your performances.

WEST: As my grandfather would say, "Life is a performance." I'm giving all that I have in this life. I'm opening up my notebook and I'm saying everything in there out loud. A lot of people are very sacred with their ideas, and there is something to protecting yourself in that way, but there's also something to idea sharing, or being the person who makes the mistake in public so people can study that.

http://www.interviewmagazine.com/music/kanye-west/#_
Sponsored Links