TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Ryan Adams > Ryan Adams Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Wiki Arcade Photos Mark Forums Read

Ashes & Fire (Oct. 11)

Old 07-26-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
Rob
Administrator

Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute
Ashes & Fire (Oct. 11)

Let's make it official.

Out on October 10/11 on Pax Am

Dirty Rain
Ashes & Fire
Come Home*
Rocks
Do I Wait
Chains Of Love
Invisible Riverside
Save Me*
Kindness*
Lucky Now
I Love You But I Don't Know What To Say

* Ft. Norah Jones

Amazon Preorder:

CD: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B005GVW05Q

Vinyl: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B005J039G8

Cover

From Q magazine:

Quote:
Two years ago, Ryan Adams took up a new pastime: hiking in the Californian mountains. He'd been diagnosed with Meniere's disease, a disorder of the inner ear that affected his hearing and nervous system. Soon, he'd quit working with his band The Cardinals and, in 2010, baffled fans by releasing Orion, a heavy metal concept album recorded four years earlier. Adams seemed to be in need of some peace.

"I'd been sober for many years," he says now. "But in order to survive the Meniere's, I had to give up smoking, pharmaceutical drugs and drinking espresso." Adams found one of the few recreational pursuits that didn't leave him feeling sick and delirious was exercise. His wife actress Mandy Moore, took him walking in the hills. "She just reminded that when I did my first elevation peak I was still smoking," he laughs. "I like to head out to the hills near Dante's Peak. Once you get to the top you can see the ocean and condors, owls and coyotes."

This state calm seems to have fed into Adams's forthcoming album, Ashes & Fire 12 elegant country-rock songs, featuring Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers' organist Benmont Tench and guest co-vocalist Norah Jones. The album also continues Adams's long relationship with the Johns dynasty. Producer Ethan Johns worked with Adams's old band Whiskeytown in 1999. Ethan's father, Glyn Johns, whose credits include The Who and The Rolling Stones, produced Ashes & Fire. "Glyn's a gent," says Adams. "He's working on a book of his life, so I don't want to spoil it by repeating his stories."

After testing his stamina with acoustic UK dates in June ("I had a good night every night"), Adams plans a full UK tour this autumn. He also intends to make this record his prime focus. Unusually there are no plans to release any previously recorded albums or out-takes. "Music was the first thing I loved to do after drawing, making my grandmother laugh and eating cake," he insists. "I think the tag 'prolific' is used to minimalise what I do. I'm always working, but I've decided not to share."

Adams has already shared two books of his poetry and short stories, Infinity Blues and Hello Sunshine. Expect a third, "I'm now writing a novel about a lovable rat. But if I say more it won't happen."

Last edited by Rob; 08-30-2011 at 11:37 AM..
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
Tim Simmons
It's OK

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashes & Fire

Great album title.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:03 PM   #3
Tim Simmons
It's OK

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

Album sounds promising.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:42 PM   #4
ewok.online
CATHERINE

ewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond repute

Title is great. Excited.

Faith restored, stay out of the fucking canyon, climb down from the goddamn plateau.
ewok.online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:51 PM   #5
La Cienega
la la la la la

La Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant future

Title song is great.

Magnolia Mountain : We'll be an approved fansite in no time, thanks to La's rack!

last.fm
La Cienega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:17 PM   #6
GILMORE104
Moo

GILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud of

Country Rock Album? Please let it be so! Jayhawks now this??
Old 07-27-2011, 12:34 AM   #7
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Cold Roses part 2???
JackStark211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:32 AM   #8
minty_fresh_uk

minty_fresh_uk is on a distinguished road

Tour! Woohoo!
minty_fresh_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:19 AM   #9
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Unusually there are no plans to release any previously recorded albums or out-takes.
This part makes me worried - is Blackhole now off the radar?
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:19 AM   #10
Tim Simmons
It's OK

To be honest I'm not putting much faith in anything printed in Q magazine.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:43 AM   #11
ericshead

ericshead has a spectacular aura aboutericshead has a spectacular aura about

Excellent news! Sounds like a great way for him to go right now. Very happy to have read this.
ericshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:43 AM   #12
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukin View Post
This part makes me worried - is Blackhole now off the radar?
This is what I am worried about.
JackStark211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #13
ericshead

ericshead has a spectacular aura aboutericshead has a spectacular aura about

Just wondering... in re-reading the quote from Q, everything seems to be in the past tense. Is the album already done? Are we maybe looking at a 4th quarter release for this? ('cause that would be awesome)
ericshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:47 AM   #14
ewok.online
CATHERINE

ewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond repute

I think Blackhole will eventually see the light of day. But if this record is the focus right now, that's great.

I just want to hear Blackhole and the loud guitars it supposedly contains.

Faith restored, stay out of the fucking canyon, climb down from the goddamn plateau.
ewok.online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:50 AM   #15
Rob
Administrator

Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshead View Post
Just wondering... in re-reading the quote from Q, everything seems to be in the past tense. Is the album already done? Are we maybe looking at a 4th quarter release for this? ('cause that would be awesome)
Yeah, I think he said that we should expect it around Christmas.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:17 AM   #16
La Cienega
la la la la la

La Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I thought a little earlier since he said he'd do full UK tour in support of the record this fall. You usually tour after it's released, don't you?

Magnolia Mountain : We'll be an approved fansite in no time, thanks to La's rack!

last.fm
La Cienega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:26 AM   #17
J_Bizness

J_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I thought he may have said the live thing around Christmas.
J_Bizness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:35 AM   #18
Rob
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Bizness View Post
I thought he may have said the live thing around Christmas.
That could have been it. I also think he said Blackhole would be released by Christmas...right?
Old 07-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #19
robotulism
Got any decency grits?

robotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant future

Quote:
Once you get to the top you can see the ocean and condors, owls and coyotes.
Condors? Really?

That's pretty amazing.
robotulism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:03 AM   #20
J_Bizness

J_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
That could have been it. I also think he said Blackhole would be released by Christmas...right?
Yea I think so
J_Bizness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:20 AM   #21
nyf

nyf is a name known to allnyf is a name known to allnyf is a name known to allnyf is a name known to all

Quote:
After testing his stamina with acoustic UK dates in June ("I had a good night every night"), Adams plans a full UK tour this autumn.
I was hoping for something stateside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotulism View Post
Using the term chicken skin reminds me of when I take my fat friends to KFC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
Come on. Leak.
nyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #22
Tim Simmons
It's OK

He already said he was going to punish us because some boots got out on the internet.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:25 AM   #23
nyf

nyf is a name known to allnyf is a name known to allnyf is a name known to allnyf is a name known to all

I think he is scared of U.S. crowds causing a meltdown.

He'd lose his shit.
Quote:
Quote:
Come on. Leak.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:31 AM   #24
plath

plath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think we'll see a release of Blackhole any time soon at all. I think Ryan's attentions are focused elsewhere. I am hoping for an early autumn release for the new album as that's a perfect time for a RA album but I would have expected a little more PR about it at this stage if that were true.

Also I'm with Tim when it comes to questioning the reliability of Q.
So I guess I'm not holding my breath about anything until we get official confirmation from RA.

My question is - will Fire and Rain come out on PAXAM? Is PAXAM really ready for an album that could sell really well? From seeing RA on tour and knowing his new found want to focus on the music, as well as the very talented people he has working in it - this could be a big hitter for our boy. Can PAXAM cope? The wider market won't forgive admin mess ups etc as easily as hardcore fans will.
plath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:46 AM   #25
nyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by plath View Post

My question is - will Fire and Rain come out on PAXAM? Is PAXAM really ready for an album that could sell really well? From seeing RA on tour and knowing his new found want to focus on the music, as well as the very talented people he has working in it - this could be a big hitter for our boy. Can PAXAM cope? The wider market won't forgive admin mess ups etc as easily as hardcore fans will.
Very true. I think that after some of the debacles with III/IV and previous PAXAM endeavors RA will have this one ready. He seems to be trying to do everything right with this one. I hope it pays off.
Quote:
Quote:
Come on. Leak.
Sponsored Links

Tags
ashes & fire, ass is on fire, bitches be wildin' out, calm down plath, chowder bags are ready to burst!!!, faded rose is a baby, feminism 101 class required, plath is never happy